Best resource for rebuilding Carter carburators?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest what are the best reference books to learn how to rebuild/tune Carter AFB and AVS carburators? I'm not very knowledgeable with carburators and want to learn and be able to do this myself on my cars. I was also wondering if it would be fine to upgrade the size of my Carter Carb on my stock 1967 383 4 speed formula s? I think in 67 my engine came factory with a tiny 525 cfm Carter AFB carb. I want to build and run a bigger carb on the factory manifold under the air cleaner and I'm looking for a carb that has the same size mounting base to bolt on but more CFM.

Carl

There is a book by IIRC, SA Design in "How to Rebuild your Carter Carb" which also includes Edelbrock carbs. Inside gives step by sep instructions with pictures and exploded views of all 4 Carter carbs. Very easy to rebuild, tune and modify.

Your 383 generally came with a 630 cfm AVS or 600 AFB depending on the year. There are OE 750 versions of the AVS that will work fine. I like the AVS over the AFB because of the spring loaded air door that really helps prevent bogs that the weighted air door of the AFB tends to hand out. Edelbrock does not have a 750 AVS, only a AFB 750. They do have a 800 AVS.

-
Back