Best surprise, for a rock concert.....

-
My favorite was probably Tool for undertow
NIN always puts on a good show seen a bunch of times glad I got to see Kurt before he lost his head.

If I could go back in time The Doors would be the one id want to see.
The Doors, are my favorite band...period.. How odd, we click there...
Tool,is fantastic musicianship ...I just can't, get into it... NIN, great songs, early days... I miss the day, when local bands ..fought over, playing weekends in pubs.. I have seen , some real talent...

Don't go anymore but back in the day, and this will date me but I am an old man------------------
Paul Revere and the Raiders
The Bards
The Daily Flash
The Grateful Dead
The Jefferson Airplane
The Fifth Dimension
Frank Zappa and the MOI-(help I'm the mayor)
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Kenny G (three times)
Never saw some of my favorites now-The Who-Dire Straits-Rolling Stones-War and others I cant think of here---------------
Not a fan of most of todays music, I guess we all like the music and cars of our creative years in our youth-----------

while in europe, my wife went to go see Andre Riue
a classical violinist/conductor

he has a tendency of bringing in surprise guests
well, i guess he hit the bottom of the barrel because when she went, the surprise guests were...David Hasselhof and KITT

Headlining at a 3 day R&B festival we went to this weekend was "The Weight". This band contains original members of "The Band" and they sounded great. This music is burned into my brain, was played in Woodstock and in the movie Easy Rider.

Nobody's mentioned Carlos. Saw him 2 years ago in a 700 seat theater in Vegas. Boy can still rock.

Saw Chicago when they were Chicago Transit Authority in Ann Arbor, Mi, 1972. And Elton John when he had his own hair. And Heart when she was skinny.

Nobody's mentioned Carlos. Saw him 2 years ago in a 700 seat theater in Vegas. Boy can still rock.

He did a run in Vegas, wanted to go see him sometime during that year or so. Never have seen him but that is some good music. Abraxas, I can relate to that!!!

A little musical trivia about Pat Benetar many people don't know. She began as an Opera singer but was convinced by a friend to try out for a rock band.

Also she has a very, very rare gift. She has a vocal range of FOUR octaves. Most people struggle to barely have three.

Classically trained musicians tend to be very, very good. First wife got her doctoral degree in classical guitar from Eastman. The other students that I met there were impressive. I was not a student there, and I felt so out of place and humbled. They were awe inspiring.

Will be going to see 38 Special and April Wine together in a couple weeks, Nice little out door venue. Should be fun.

Some of the really good ones i have seen in the last 10ish years in no particular order were:
Dr. Hook
Alice Cooper
Prism
Bachman-Turner (Overdrive)
April Wine
Stampeders
Lighthouse
Nick Gilder
Trooper
Loverboy

I met Ray also after a show talked with him for 10 min or so and he signed the drum stick he carried around on stage and gave it to me this was about 10 years ago he was an old man but he sounded great and put on a 2 1/2 hour non stop show .

Last edited by a moderator:
gdrill ... I just saw 38 Special last month here on the Left Coast ... Great show ... If y'all get the chance ... Take in a Zac Brown Band gig ... I'm not a big C&W fan ... Those guys are fabulous musicians ... Glad the Mid State Fair had giant screen TVs ... My back was in no shape to stand for 2 hours since no one else in the arena floor chose to sit in their hunnert dollar seats

LOL, my daughter has been promoting Zac to me lately. I'm not big on C&W either, but she tells me it has changed a lot since I grew older! I may be checking in on them as well when they come our way.

while in europe, my wife went to go see Andre Riue
a classical violinist/conductor

he has a tendency of bringing in surprise guests
well, i guess he hit the bottom of the barrel because when she went, the surprise guests were...David Hasselhof and KITT
It's a rock concert thread. Stories of ninny's jerking stick near their face have no place here.lol

Obviously not an Electric Light Orchestra fan :)
Hey hey now...dont bring me down ...bbbruccccccce
Musically a great band though.
Idk but the older I get the more I focus on the musicianship, writing. Showmanship has been watered down, faked or perverted you could say these days.

Last edited:
ELO, and Jeff Lynne? Crank kickass on studio, live would be cool....

The Doors, are my favorite band...period..

My Father in law saw the Doors play at a house party in Venice, CA, no ****! Im not a big concert goer as the prices are just unrealistic now, but I do catch some every now and then:
Foghat in front of about 40 drunk bar-tards in Westminster, CA...at a bar! WTH they were playing there is beyond me but they played hard and smiled the entire set, saw them again in Lake Tahoe a year later at "The losers lounge", must have been on some hard times?
Oingo-Boingo, about 7 times for their Holloween shows in So. Cal. great show always!
Pennywise/Vandals. Awesome double bill. Pennywise sold monogrammed T-shirts AND mouthguards! Escaped with only a cut eyebrow....
Adam Ant. 2nd concert ever and first one alone at 15!
B-52's sounded just like the albums..if you liked that stuff. It was a free fair concert, along with Donny Osmond...no joke !
KMFDM loudest concert ever. They brought in 3 240V/50hz generators on trailers to power their gear as the smaller venue power couldn't meet their demands.
Dropkick Murphys. Irish punk set that started at 11:00 PM and didnt end till 2:00, the house lights came on midway through their last song because they ran so long over.
Kraftwerk. Never heard of them? Believe me you would recognize almost every song because EVERYONE samples them at one time or another. Electronic pioneers since 1974. They tour like once every 4 years to about 5 gigs worldwide so I caught them at the Greek in LA. Froze my *** off in short sleeves but the "show" (it was a concert but had a huge video backdrop so it was almost like a movie) was amazing. All their stuff is done live with loops and effects that they drive on tiny keyboards and laptops. Then they sit down and have these robots come out and 'play' a song.
Prophets of Rage. Rage against the machine (minus Zack De La Rocha), but fronted by Chuck D. of Public Enemy and B.Real of Cypress hill. Took my bro in law for some bonding time as it was his style of music, but I came away a huge fan: didnt care for the injected politics but that convert was fun!

None were over $20 'cept Kraftwerk @$55 but I scored a pair on the radio.

BB.King (I fell asleep)
Rita Coolidge (I didnt know it was her until the 5th song)
Cheap Trick ( I left after the first song because I liked them too much and they sounded terrible that night)

ELO at the Forum I think it was, 76ish. Luckily, the sound mixers have had their "Game Faces" on at the shows I have been too. An old HS homie of mine went to Classic West at Dodger Stadium 2 weeks ago. He made a point of texting me in the middle of The Doobie Brothers :poke:. All was good until Steely Dan and the sound guy went AWOL on them. One week from tomorrow Boz Scaggs and Michael McDonald in Paso Robles. Good seats too :D

ELO first concert I saw with a laser light show. Each band member was insured for $1,000,000. by Lloyds of London when they did the tour with the spaceship rising above them. Killer show.
elo_spaceship.jpg

-
Back