best tool for trim removal?

-

66_dart_270

Reaction score
i have a 66 dart that i am taking down and repainting. scared i might mess up the good trim i have left when removing it. are there any good tools/methods to better my chances?

Someone with tools and experience would be your best bet even if it costs you a bit of money.

Hopefully someone will respond. I sell many of those tools but which ones work the best? I haven't had much trim off and don't know the best way to do it without damaging it. I think that's what 66_Dart was getting at. tmm

For what doesn't unbolt. I use a couple puddy scraper/knifes 1.5 and 3" blades for walking off things like drip rails.

I just went through this recently, so you have my utmost sympathy!

Body shops use tools like these, although a putty knife may work just about as well, but with a metal putty knife you need to be more careful about scratching the paint:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHP-Car-P...Set-Prevent-Breaking-Door-Clips-/190797664245

But the most important thing is to identify exactly what kind of plastic retainer is behind the chrome, and how it is intended to be removed.

For example, clip 1 below is removed by putting a thin blade or tool behind the chrome strip (a credit card or the like works well for this, and won't scratch the paint) and moving the plastic clip to one side or the other, until the larger of the two holes is centered over the nailhead post in the body. Then it will lift off.

Clip 2 below is removed by sliding the top of the clip over to the big hole so the top will be released, and then sliding it down to release the bottom.

Remember, first figure out what kind of clip you're dealing with and how it is intended to be released. Next, determine its orientation so you'll know which way to slide it. Never pry! You'll bend the chrome.

All these clips are available new from restoration suppliers, so don't use old broken clips to replace the chrome or it will fall off, get run over and ruin your day! But you have to know the part number in order to make sure you're buying the right clip. The part number is usually molded into the clip. If you can't figure out the part number, you can either send an example to the resto supplier and ask him to identify it, or take a picture of it, send it as an email attachment to the resto company, and ask them what kind of clip it is.

If you need to know where to buy new clips, PM me.

Oldtimer

Attachments

• Clip 1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Clip 2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 247
-
Back