Best Tools Sets

-

Kevo

Reaction score
Im looking to go out and buy me a new set of tools... or maybe find a nice used set. But anyway, what is your favorite brand for your tools? Most Durable? I've been looking, but the majority of them are made in china now...

well if you work in a shop I'd go with MAC OR snap on you can get tools and make payments on them every week but they are more expensive..or go to the old stand by sears (craftsman) there a lot cheaper and have a good warranty and if your a young man pick up a credit app.get your tools and pay as you go get all the tools you need and destroy the card..or there is a tool vender that just joined the site I think its call the tool crib.hes got sum good prices...........Artie

Are you a young gun just starting out? There's nothing wrong with a Craftsman set. They are basic tools to do basic tasks. I would love to sell you a mega thousand dollar Mac set but it may not be what you need. Cobalt tools from Lowes are pretty good looking stuff. Check local pawn shops for brand name tools. The best tools to buy are ones that are good quality and have warranty
and someone local than can take care of it when it breaks.

Here's a bargain on my local Craigslist.http://waterloo.craigslist.org/tls/2949347019.html

i have some in the shop supply and tools section for sale now..gear wrench all new nice tools ...ask around ..mike :D

Yep Kobalt is the new Craftsman. China or otherwise.
gearwrench rocks.

I just bought a handfull of vintage Craftsman/Matco/Husky/Proto/S-K sockets at a pawn shop for 50 cents each.

...but it took 45 min to sort through the five 4x4 ft piles of new and busted chinese junk.
Some of the "Japan" stuff was starting to look good!

I agree with toolmanmike.

I tell all my young apprentices to go out and start with Mastercraft Professional Series or Craftsman and upgrade from there, start with the most common ones you use and work out from there.
There are some tools that are worth buying the more expensive right from the start, it just depends what you are doing with them.

I've always loved the balance and durability of Snap-on tools and I had $40K worth when I was a proffesional mechanic. VERY pricey and what you pay for is not only the quality, fit, finish and balance but the service. My Snap-on guy, Keith Simon (I can't beleive I still remember his name after all these years) was there every week to replace broken tools and would come in an emergency if need be. Were Snap-on tools unbreakable? No, and I literally would wear out ratchets and such every few years, but Keith would rebuild them on the spot. I started out with Craftsman but found that I would be bringing 5 or 6 tools in a week vs. maybe one or two a week with Snap-on and the Craftsman stuff became a burden to bring in and hindered me from making the money I could on flat rate work.

Having said that, my Snap-on stuff was ripped off from storage along with one of my drag bikes (It pains me to this day to talk about it). I still had some stuff at home that I still have, thank God, but have slowly been building back up since. I've found that Craftsman stuff still works fine since I'm not using them 5-6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day. I do miss my flank drive sockets though.... IMHO, no one makes a better socket.

I use craftsman tools, and i've been plenty happy. i try not to spend on snap on when a wrench or socket from craftsman will do the same exact thing...doesnt make me any less of a mechanic using craftsman tools either. :) snap on is nice though.

My tool boxes are filled with Craftsman, Snap On, and some from Harbor freight. I like Craftsman tools myself. MMG

Most of what I have is Craftsman. A few years ago they were closing a sears outlet and discounted everything. I figured it was best deal to add to already large set at prices slashed at 40-50% off. Picked up alot over 1" sizes plus rolling tool boxes. The only thing I suggest NOT to buy from craftsman is a torque wrench. I bought one, used it a couple times and snap ring broke off. I ended up with a kobalt. Searched and found out they were made by snap or mac for kobalt. Best one I have owned.

New craftsman stuff is no where near as good as it used to be unless you fork out the big money for the dark green boxed set (i forget what they are called) but at that point just buy snap on or mac. I was going to buy a 255pc craftsman set as my starter set last fall but when sears wouldnt honor their advertised price I went with Kobalt instead. I very much like Kobalt they are maid in Taiwan but seem to be really nice tools with a build similar design similar to snap on tools, Lowes warrantes them for life and they have a socket loss program where if you loose a socket you just pay like 4.99 shipping and you get a new one free for life as well.
This Is the kit I bought last year and my biggest complaint about it is that the original box it comes in sucks... I am looking at buying a slightly larger box with locking drawers and some socket rails to keep everything organized. I caught that baby on sale for a steal half price so 100 bucks for what I got is amazing having had it and used them now I think they its worth what the normal price is as well.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338518-2232...7_?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

I use snap on everyday for work anD home. Goin to be buying a second set for at home eventually nothing like them i have about 30k invested so far but if money is an issue and your not doing it for a living craftsman, kobalt, etc will be sufficient enough.

Most of my tools are Craftsman with snap-on and others mixed in. I have had my Craftsman stuff for near 20 years and even working at the dealership never had any issues. If I where you and just starting out I would look at craigslist, etc. for a good used set. Lots of folks out there retiring, getting out of the industry, etc. so you can find some awesome deals. From there you can just pick up the specialty stuff you need as you go.

On a side note though, get high end ratchets. I have a snap-on 3/8 long handle flex head that has probably seen more nuts and bolts than could fill a home depot. Only ever been apart to clean and oil it.

Check your local flea markes, yard sales and craigslist.
Alot of good name brand tools for sale reasonable.
Mix and match name brands, Snap on, Mac, Proto, older Craftsman stuff is all good.
For air tools, most of mine are Mac with a few IR products thrown in.

oh yea, for air tools i use harbor freight. there cheap enough if one breaks, go buy another one. but my harbor freight air tools hasnt failed yet and i use the **** out of the DA sander, and angle die grinder. nothing wrong with craftsman using em as a professional, but i do agree they were once, much better than they are now. that new green evolv **** they have out now is plain garbage. My brother just bought an 8500 dollar snap on tool box 2 months ago, i still give him **** for that, i wouldnt spend that for an EMPTY box, no way, no how. even if i was rich.

I'm an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic have used craftsman tools forever with out serious issues. If your on a budget those or kobalt [havent tried them] would be your best bet. For professional use go with snapon,mac ect. I purchase harbor freight stuff if it is not a tool i use on a regular basis.

Most of mine are Snap On with some Mac, Mattco and Craftsman thrown in. When I had my little motorcycle shop my Snap On dealer was the best. Maybe the others would have stopped by if they knew how much coin I was dropping with my Snap On dealer. lol BUT they are quality and still will be replaced if I tear one up.
Check the pawn shops, garage sales, Craigs list and auto forums. I bought a brand new Snap On 1/4" drive set off of FABO to replace my Craftsman set I've had for 20 + years. Bargains are out there especially in a depressed economy. I bought a Snap On KRL side and top boxes that matched my bottom for less than the side box would have cost me new.
It all depends on how often you plan on using them and how long you plan on keeping them. Because you gets what you pay for.

Sears sell a very good line of their Craftsman tools called their "Professional Series" which I have used around the house for years & they have worked very nicely. I'm told they are actually made in the same plant as another major tool company. They are definetley a step up from their regular line of wrenches etc. They would be worth looking at if you are just starting out or are a serious hobbyist. Snap-on, Mac & Matco are all good tools but like people said, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. There are many tool companies out there who offer a lifetime guarantee & sell tools on the web at lower prices too, but you may have to send your broken tools in to them directly & wait for them to replace them. Something to consider if you're in the middle of a project or have a deadline to meet. It's much easier to walk into a store or a tool truck & walk out with a new tool.

If you can wait Sears usually has a great sale around Fathers day. I bought a 200 piece set for $99 last year.

-
Back