Best top of tank padding?

-

emydemon

Reaction score
I'm putting my fuel tank back in and want to put some sort of padding between it and the trunk floor to prevent rattling. I've been looking at options and would like to hear what y'all think. Rubber? Felt?? It doesn't need to be correct for the car (I know there's a purist out there screaming "sacrilege!!") it just needs to be the best results for long term use. It's a 72 Demon 340 daily driver.

Not sure if it matters, but I'll be installing an exhaust flame kit asap eheheh:burnout:

I saw some roofing material that i thought was close.......
I don't know what it is called, a buddy of mine who is a roofer came by and showed me when i was doing my car.
I ended up reusing the original off my old tank on mine.

30 pound tar paper works just fine. Keeps the squeaking and prevents metal to metal contact

Haven't done it to my a-body but the fuel tank in my Scout just has rubber strips (about like a bicycle inner tube) stuck to it where it contacts the floor above it. Also has the same kind of rubber on the straps that hold it up. No idea if it was made this way or if a PO did this. I know the tank had been out before tho.

I used pieces of heater core hose or similar that I cut in half and glued around in a few spots across the top of the tank that would rub the trunk pan. No issues yet :)

-
Back