Best Torque Converter

-

Moparboyz01

Reaction score
Hey guys whats the best converter to buy with about 3000 to 3200 stall. I found a couple on ebay for about 320 dollars with shipping but dont really know how good it is havent really heard much about the company selling them.

If it's a G.E.R. or something like that RUN!

Depending on what you're doing, convertors are a make or break deal in most combos. Get the right one and they are like magic. Get the wrong one, and it can be pretty bad or not much fun.

I've used Hughes, TA, ATI, tci, munsinger, ultimate. I like TA the best

Save up your money and buy a good convertor.

The combo that im going with is a Lunati Voodoo cam with a 234/242 duration and 513/533 lift in a 383 big block with a 8 3/4 rearend with 3.91 gears.

in my opinion and from personal experience i would call someone like dymanic,ptc or ultimate and get your self a converter build for your combo. they will be a lot more efficient then an off the shelf converter. with a converter you get what you pay for these days. and man can the proper converter make a huge difference. my car i went with a dynamic (frank lupo). man did they hit it dead on. could get over 3000 rpm on the foot brake easy, it would flash to 3800 and drive on the street like a stock converter. best of all worlds.

thanks abodyjoe i will give them a call what is an average price or does it depend on your combo?

it depends. my 9 1/2" was $600 if i remember correctly. sounds like a lot of money until you feel the results... whatever company you call just make sure your 100% honest about your combo and intended use of the car. it all makes a difference and can make or break the way the converter is set up for you. for example. if you do mostly street driving and only take it to the track a few times a year they will most likely make it a little tighter then if you were going to be at the track every week and want every last tenth out of the car. know what i mean?

Ditto On The Frank Lupo Dynamic Convertors....top Notch And Reliable.........they Work Real Goooood..........so Worth The Money.....mine Was 700 Bucs But Theyve Come Down A Hundred Since I Got Mine.....like They Say You Get What You Pay For....if Youve Ever Had A Bad Or Crappy Convertor You Will Appreciate A Good One That Works At The Track And On The Street........Frank Is A Smart And Honest Man And Takes Pride In What He Builds As Well Should Be His Product Is A Definite Winner In All Respects.........

What physical size converter and STR are you guys going with for a the street?

In my old car (4th gen Camaro) I paid $700 for a 9 1/2" Performabuilt 3200rpm 1.69 STR lock up stall converter.
It drove pretty close to stock but hit way way way harder when I matted the skinny pedal.
It was one of the best mods that I did.

Now I'm starting to do research for a good converter to put in my Turbo Dart that has a 904.

Give Lenny at Ultimate converters a call 203-874-2100 he's the best in the business!!!

Hey guys thanks for all the help and advice my car is going to be a street/strip car but mostly strip maybe just drive it on weekends when im off. I will check some of these places out.

If it's a G.E.R. or something like that RUN!

Depending on what you're doing, convertors are a make or break deal in most combos. Get the right one and they are like magic. Get the wrong one, and it can be pretty bad or not much fun.

I've used Hughes, TA, ATI, tci, munsinger, ultimate. I like TA the best

Save up your money and buy a good convertor.
Yes, absolutely, the GER stuff is ****!

Yes, absolutely, the GER stuff is ****!
I really like the TA converters too, Havent tried one of Lupos, but i have heard good things about them here & elsewhere, thinking about one of his 9.5" when I put my Duster back together. Either that or a tight TA 8".

I used a B&M 069J many years ago too, excellent converter, but they havent been made for years, & the core (early 6cyl falcon 9") is VERY hard to find nowadays, I have used tight 8" done to work similar to the old 069J, around 4800-5200 flash behind a BB, 4200-4500 with a small block, in lots of dual purpose cars.

Has anyone used or heard anything about the Hughes Prostreet Converter that is the one that im considering for the money that i can spend right now.

-
Back