Best TQ rebuild kit?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Hey all...in the process of rebuilding my 1972 ThermoQuad, 6138S (340, MT) and wondering which was the best quality (and most complete) TQ rebuild kit out there?
According to Vaanth's TQ guide, this takes kit No. 1. Are the NAPA kits decent or should I look for a different maker in your experience. Only wanna do this once. This carb has the metal floats. Also wondering if any of the kits have the choke pull-off or if I need to order that separate?

I used to buy ECHLIN stuff. Good stuff.Havent bought a kit in many years now.The last kit I bought was under 10 bucks IIRC!
Choke pull-offs are separate.As are floats,
Jets and rods I believe are NLA.(no longer available)
Float valves are in the kits, along with a pump,a pump-hose,checkballs and various gaskets,and clips.Plus the all-important instructions.

The napa kit is fine, I would get a new choke pull off since it dampers the opening of the sec air doors. If the choke P.O. Is bad you will get a big bog when floored. The jets can be drilled out , using a precition lathe is best. Usually for a warm sb you can go .101pri, .157 secondary if
You remove the choke plate and rod for more cfm you can go .159 sec for
Starters. I usually spray the gaskets with WD40 so they don't stick.

there is a place that makes all the no longer made parts such as jets metering rods and tuneing kits i cant remember the name but i know he aint cheap like 500 clams for a tuning kit .

Well hay, I caint do it all for you. They sell tuning kits with sprAngs, jets, meterin rods.....the whole deal. They got some nice stuff.

Well hay, I caint do it all for you.

No? Dang it...just when I was gettin' used to feeling like one o'dem libbruls dat specks ever'one to do all de work ferrum.....I was hopin' you'd order it and pay for it, too....:violent1:

The napa kit is fine, I would get a new choke pull off since it dampers the opening of the sec air doors. If the choke P.O. Is bad you will get a big bog when floored. The jets can be drilled out , using a precition lathe is best. Usually for a warm sb you can go .101pri, .157 secondary if
You remove the choke plate and rod for more cfm you can go .159 sec for
Starters. I usually spray the gaskets with WD40 so they don't stick.

Thats bigger than the jets I run in my stroker motor, on Q16. You ever put an a/f meter on it? Just curious.

Thats bigger than the jets I run in my stroker motor, on Q16. You ever put an a/f meter on it? Just curious.
no never did, seemed to run fine, a little weaker top end then my holley. my engine is about 400hp very low 12's 365ci.

-
Back