Best value 1/2" impact

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
Currently I have an electric impact that does fine but putting a lift in my YJ has so many places where this thing is way to big to fit. I currenly have a 20 gallon verticle portable Craftsman air compressor and plan to move to the Campbell Hausfeld 60 gallon shortly. I want to know what is the best 1/2" impact out there for the money. I don't care if I am paying $60 or $200 I just want to make sure I am getting the best bang for the buck. Ultimate torque is what I want. I don't care if it shakes my fillings out. I likely will use multiple times and then it may sit for a couple months at a time.

Thanks that is what I am looking for. Something that people people don't like due to comfort (noise and weight) but gets the job done better than anything else. Wouldn't mind if I could find something a little cheaper though. $250 is a bit pricy but if it gets the job done best and lasts me a few years I am OK with that.

The guns are well balanced, and powerful.
I am pretty sure my old 20 yr old MAC was built by IR.
The quality of IR is pretty high in the air tool industry.
It takes about a 5 hp minimum compressor to make them strech their legs.

My compressor is a 5 hp 220 with about a 30 gal tank and an it is about maxed out.

If you have not bought your compressor yet dont cheap out, it will run you about a 1,000 for something that will run air tools and not overheat.

I always have been partial to the Chicago Pneumatic impacts and air ratchets. I have had them for over 15 years and have only replaced the neopreme trigger part. That cost less than $3.00 and was readily available in the OKC Chicago Pneumatic distributor. Don't confuse them with the Central Pneumatic garbage that Harbor Freight sells. I have a Sioux 3/4" impact that will easily take the lug nuts off my tow ton diesel rollback. I usually pick them up at swapmeets. I gave $60.00 for the Sioux 3/4" impact at a swapmeet and it was like new.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_370419_370419

+1 on The IR. It's all you'll ever need. Just put a few drops of oil right in the Air inlet every day before use & it'll last years. I also love the Snap-On 3/8" Gun. It does most lug nuts and is super light.

More thanks. At $100 cheaper the IR may be better for my non professional needs. I put oil in the inlet of all my air tools every time I use them. Just never bought an impact because I didn't think my compressor was enough and my electric was OK but now I find it way too big.

IR guns are alright, though look for an older one made in the athens plant. When they went to southern pines NC they are not as good. ( about a 2 years ago)
If you can find a powerforce it was made by ingersoll rand and was more powerful than the 231C for less money. I had a 231 and the trigger froze up on the gun. Replaced it with a cheapy harbor freight Earthquake that I use about 10-20 times a year..its good enough for what I need. If I needed something better I would get the thunder gun...stay away from the titanium series by IR and the QT series by IR...they did not seem to hold up as good.

My I-R is 38 years old and still working just fine. One of the best tools and most used in my box. Used it daily for 20+ years as a line mechanic.

I have Snap On both in 3/8" and 1/2" and they have served me well for many moons.

Not sure which is the best, I have Blue Point in the 1/2" and 3/8" and no issues with them, they are about 15 years old. Make sure when you get one that you check the torque in reverse rating, getting the nuts/bolts off of something is whats important.

My 1/2" gun is a MAC that is basically the same as the IR231. I bought it in '86 and has been in use every day ever since. I had to replace one hammer weight but other than that no problems.

My 1/2" gun is a MAC that is basically the same as the IR231. I bought it in '86 and has been in use every day ever since. I had to replace one hammer weight but other than that no problems.
Right on, Same Gun. I had one and I also had the "Shock Wave" (Snap-On). I only broke out the Shock Wave when The 231 couldn't bust a Honda Crank bolt loose. That Thing was a monster LOL. Damn for a split second I almost missed being a Line Tech.

Take it from the toolman, best bang for the buck is the IR231. Mac's early AW234 and AW234A guns were built by IR as well as a few of the later model ones. The 231 will produce more power with lower cfm than most other guns built. tmm

Take it from the toolman, best bang for the buck is the IR231. Mac's early AW234 and AW234A guns were built by IR as well as a few of the later model ones. The 231 will produce more power with lower cfm than most other guns built. tmm

And now you have it from a man that sells tools for a living. He would have more knowledge than most.

I bought a Ingersol 2131 back in the early 90's and used it nearly everyday at work doing forklift repair for 11 yrs. then at home on car repairs and it still works fantastic today. Only one problem in all that time, the trigger broke. Cost $5 for a new trigger and was a 15 minute install. It is a very nice performing, lightweight and quiet gun that doesn't take a lot of air to run like most cheap guns (i.e. Harbor Freight crap) do. As OWDKASD mentioned, oiling them is what makes them last real long. Some oil before each use but I oil mine after each use. Seems the best way to to me as your storing it with fresh oil in it, not any moisture that the compressor put through it when you used it. But either way you do it will make it last a long life.

Keep in mind that you may be able to save money buying a cheaper gun but even when working on a car there are times when you might run into something rusted/frozen in place and the extra power from the better gun may get it apart where-as the lighter duty gun may not. For that reason I always buy the best I can afford and suggest everone do the same. Doesn't look like they make the 2131 anymore but they have a 2130 that's close to it. Here's the link to it

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381617_200381617

Compare the specs then make your decision.

Thank you everybody. Based on the feedback I will buy an IR 2130. Believe me my Jeep YJ is the definition of rusted/frozen.

I got an IR 2135 TI for Christmas last year, and while I havent had a chance to really beat on it I'm pretty impressed so far.

Off topic:

What kind of lift are you putting on your YJ? I miss my old one sometimes...

I have a cornwell in my tool box at work. I would say its equal to the IR that other mechanics have.

-
Back