Best water pump choice

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
What's your opinion about the best water pump to use for a weekend cruiser? Does an 8 blade or six blade stock pump work best from your experiance on a mild cam 360 and stock 22" radiator (new)? Are after market pumps better? Thanks for your answers.

for stock use a gmb brand. for aftermarket, use flow kooler or similar. remember if you use a high fow water pump you also need to use a hi flow thermostat like a milodon or mr gasket brass style. these open WITH the flow of water rather than stant's open AGAINST the flow of water and the extra volume the hi flows push thru the system, they can actually shut or restrict the stant style thermostat.

I use the MP HI-Performance unit. It is actually a stock A/C pump that comes in 6 or 8 blades. I have used both. The 8 bladed is better, but I also did not have any issue with the 6 bladeds cooling abilty.
I used the pumps without a hi flow stat without any issue.

Note; Not all stock 6 bladed pumps are equal, stock or otherwise.

I had a flow cooler pump. The plate welded to the impler broke at the welds and caused problems. I just got flak from Flo-Cooler.
It was a very good pump. If I were to re-use it again, I think I would take time for a extra weld.

Looks like I'd have to order an 8 blade one. No one around Eugene has one that I've found. AutoZone has them online and I'll check Summit for an after market. Going to a cruise in Klamath Falls, Oregon next weekend and it's been around 100 deg. Hope it cools off. Thanks for the input.

My 360 makes approx. 370HP. I use a stock replacement water pump, stock replacement heavy duty / AC 22" radiator and a 180 t-stat with a thermostatic clutch fan & shroud. Hot, cold, highway and/or idling in traffic the guage moves up to the point the t-stat opens and it stays there.

Can't see any need for anything special with a weekend cruiser.

-
Back