Best water pump for 450hp 1968 340 ?

-

64whiteghost

Reaction score
Hey guys. Need helping choosing a good quality 8 propeller water pump for my 1964 Valiant that will have a 1968 340 with 450 hp. Any suggestions ?

Hey guys. Need helping choosing a good quality 8 propeller water pump for my 1964 Valiant that will have a 1968 340 with 450 hp. Any suggestions ?
My 408 stroker had a flowkooler and high flow stat. Never overheated even with sported driving in 102 temps. I had Champion radiator with OE style shroud and mech fan.

Keep in mind that the over or under drive of the pump ( crank to water pump pulley diameters) will have an effect.

OEM spun the pump faster for fewer vanes in the pump. Not sure why?

from what I understand with A/C the pump was driven faster than non A/C for more air/water flow at lower speeds but with that faster ratio the pump would cavitate at high(er) revs so they went to 6 vanes (if I am remembering this correctly) to avoid that. RR

Milodon also has a high flow water pump with a plate on the inside like a flow cooler does. I don’t know about a price comparison. Just another option to check out.

Those type are the best. The water has no escape route, must get captured & pumped through the engine. I have been modifying 'stock' pumps for many years by adding a plate. In every case, the owner reported cooler running after the mod.

Those type are the best. The water has no escape route, must get captured & pumped through the engine. I have been modifying 'stock' pumps for many years by adding a plate. In every case, the owner reported cooler running after the mod.
You should put one in your toilet to see if it will make it swirl LOL

-
Back