Best Way to Bump Compression?

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
I'm putting my 1994 5.2 Magnum back together to go into my 73 Duster. I'm going to run the stock cam, intake, & EFI, with a fresh valve job and unshrouding in the heads. What's the best way to bump up the compression while it's apart? Mill the heads down, deck the block? This will be a street car, and I'd like to know what I can get away with and still run on pump gas without a problem.
Thanks,
Jon

Pump gas runner? Leave it alone.

Street stripper with pump gas, mill heads for cheapest, pistons would be a better way.

Race ride, pistons!

The bigger the cam, the comp. ratio you can get away with. Where your at now and re-useing alot of stock stuff, I would only mill the heads to clean them up and that's it.

Running the stock cam will limit how much compression bump your motor will handle. Aftermarket cams have more overlap and bleed off some cylinder pressure and avoid detonation. i,d say 9.5 to 1 would be about tops with stock cam and iron heads. Without cam or piston mods I really see no need to bump compression.

If the motor is apart the best bang for the buck is deck the block. It is not uncommon for the decks to be .025 to .030 out of square. Have your machinist sqare the block and you'll be happy ever after.

the best way to bump up compression is with PISTONS. period. squaring up the block is always a good idea,
may give you a little CR, but the purpose of that is to EVEN out the CR across the banks. BTW... also
find the largest CHAMBER VOLUME cc, then get out the grinder and EQUALIZE the rest of the chambers to match
the LARGEST one. now u'll be on the right track, and your engine WILL make more power then just bumpin the CR.
cheers

-
Back