Best way to clean tired aluminum wheels ?

-
Got my new (new to me) 15 X 12 rims for my Cuda the other day and finally got around to polishing them. I had written earlier about the method I use and took some pics this time. The great part about doing rims this way is if you have some really bad corrosion or even moderate corrosion you can knock it out really fast with heavy sand paper and water. The sand paper lasts forever if you keep it wet and the cardboard keeps the mess of off the car. You also have use real good jack stands and I leave the jack (semi-preloaded) under the pumpkin (safety first!!). Block the front tires as an added precaution. Depending on how bad your rims are you can start with the sand paper grit that cuts fast or polishes. I was using 1200 grit in this pic. Also once you've knocked off all the corrosion you can get a small rag and aluminum polish compound and quickly make them shine like a mirror as they spin.
WARNING !!!!CAUTION!!! I am a machinist and have used rotating equipment for many, many years. If your rag gets hung up on a burr, lug nut, or the valve stem hole or on anything, the spinning rim WILL try and rip your fingers, hand, arm off!! Always hold the rag or sandpaper so that it can be easily pulled out of your hand and don't wear a long sleeve shirt or gloves. I once saw a lady (machinist) get flipped over a lathe when her sleeve got caught by the material she was sanding. Her buddies turned the lathe off quickly but not before she had sustained a broken arm and messed up fingers.
Be super careful and remember that the higher the RPM the faster you finish. I had my engine carb adjusted up to about 1800 RPM with fans to blow the exhaust away from my work area. Have fun BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03896.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03897.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03898.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03899.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03900.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 74