Best way to get stripped nut off.

-

360Duster75

Reaction score
Ok so i have a stripped nut on my Torsion bar and cant get it off and it is a pain in the butt. I am getting new torsion bars next weekend and need these off what is the best way to remove this dang nut? I was thinking grind it til its smooth all the way around or just cutting the Torsion bar in 2 and getting it of that way. Either way the old ones are going to scrap yard.

WTF are you talking about. There are no "nuts" on torsion bars

Are you talking about the height adjustment BOLT? Cut the BOLT not the bar!!

Dont understand what you are talking about. torsion bars are held in by clips snapped in the crossmember. Remove the clips and pull them out the rear after you take the preload off the adjuster.

if you can take a picture of this nut maybe then we can help do not cut the torsion bars as they are under a load and could be very dangerous!

that nut isnt bolted to the torsion bar. The bar just slips in the big hex socket on the backside of it.

on the body crossmember on the back of the bars are 2 clips. Thats all that holds the bars in.

release the load on the suspension support the car with jack stands on the frame rails try a 6 point socket if the head is that messed up might wanna try a metric socket if its goes on i would use 3/4 drive maybe a breaker bar to get it going or if you have a impact acouple of zips should do the trick spray some pb blaster on the threads that should help

Ok so what is the Nut on I need one of them asap that's what it is stuck on. The nut spins spins and spins no matter what way I turn it

Ok I found it its on the lower control arm I belive with the nut on it and it is lined up with the torsion bar on them k frame.

The nut on the front of the torsion bar.

There IS NO nut on the front of the torsion bar

1 You are either talking about the height adjustment BOLT (cap screw) for the torsion bar,

2 or you are talking about the nut on the front of the lower control arm pivot, which does NOT need to be removed in order to remove the torsion bar

3 or you are talking about the nut on the STRUT ROD

You have a shop manual? No? I suggest you download one................

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

In the drawing below, right out of the 72 shop manual, The part marked "shaft" is what hooks into the lower control arm pivot bushing and forms the up/ down pivot for the arm. It does NOT need to be removed to remove the torsion bar The torsion bar is NOT shown, but comes out the back of the lower control arm immediately behind the "shaft."

The STRUT has a large nut and bushing assembly on the front.

If you are trying to remove the nut on the LCA pivot, it may NOT be stripped. If the bushing is in bad shape, the shaft may be spinning inside what is left of the bushing.

15ckmqq.jpg

I'll stuff this in the category of "Interesting". Just a few questions so we can figure out where you're at. How long is this thing you're calling a torsion bar? What size nut would you say it is? Where is it located? Do you have a camera so you can post a picture for us. We're tryin to help. Dont sound like you're dealin with a torsion bar to me. Dont be embarassed. We were all in your shoes at least one time in our lives. Tell us what ya got and where it is.
Small Block

Ok thanks to the diagram I know exactly what it is. It is the Shaft that goes into the cross member. Is there a place to buy a new one or would it be best to just get one from another car? Sorry for the ignorance this is my first car with Torsion bars so I don't know much about them still. Also the shaft doesn't spin at all, but my passenger side does spin spin and spin so it needs a bushing if I read the posts right.

Ok thanks to the diagram I know exactly what it is. It is the Shaft that goes into the cross member. Is there a place to buy a new one or would it be best to just get one from another car? Sorry for the ignorance this is my first car with Torsion bars so I don't know much about them still.

If yours is bad a donor car part would be fine. It could just be the nut is stripped and the shaft is fine. Is there enough room to get a nut splitter in?

Don't sweat about calling the part by the wrong name because we all start there and learn as we go.

No not enough room for that I am just going to cut the nut off and get another shaft. It has some messed up threads I can see on the side and I belive that may have cause the nut to jump off track and get messed up to bad.

the shaft doesn't spin at all, but my passenger side does spin spin and spin so it needs a bushing if I read the posts right.
yep, the bushing is the problem (had the same thing last fall working on my Duster).

Easy fix, but you have to pull the LCA and use a press to change it.

-
Back