Best way to remove rust preventative coating?

-

kiss

Reaction score
My new Spectra gas tank came with a rust preventative coating. It's not waxy like cosmoline, more oily like LPS3. Whats the best way to remove this stuff without causing problems to the gas tank? For instance, if I use acetone, should I worry about the gas tank rusting after? Or are these Sepctra tanks made well and should be OK (galvanized, etc).

Do people paint their tanks after removing this coating?

It better have something other than pickling to protect it. Methanol, Isopropanol or Acetone should remove he pickling. Have any pictures? Galvanizing is obvious with is patterns.

FWIW, Eastwood sells a gas tank spray paint that looks REAL good. I have used it on a few tanks, and it looks good and lasts. So if removing the coating leaves it looking poorly, you know what you can use.

It better have something other than pickling to protect it. Methanol, Isopropanol or Acetone should remove he pickling. Have any pictures? Galvanizing is obvious with is patterns.
It says zinc plated

^^Which is galvanizing.

If you want to paint or cote it there are primers for galvanizing.

I use powdered laundry detergent, water, and a scrub sponge. Then I use naval jelly, rinse it off with water and follow with Rust-Oleum Rusty Metal primer (red oxide), followed by a Rust-Oleum color coat. The "John Deere" green-painted tank (probably not your color choice) on my '65 Formula S still looks great after about ten years:
DSC00873.JPG
DSC00872.JPG
DSC00874.JPG

P.S. Still wondering how it ended up with a 8 3/4 rear end with a later "489" carrier.

Last edited:
-
Back