Best way to remove stripe?

-

damnimcooltom

Too Cool For School
Reaction score
I'm about to acquire a car that someone put the stripes on incorrectly. Is there a good way to remove the stripes without damaging the paint?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I always parked the car in the sun depending on which side your doing first. You want the side your doing in the sun, And then I use a heat gun to slowly heat the area your starting to peel off and work your way down the stripe. And then once its off you can use wax and grease remover to take off any residue. You can pick up a heat gun for $10- $15 bucks at harbor freight.
Hope this helps, you should have no problems doing it this way and you won't damage the paint at all.

it will if you leave it on the same spot of paint for 5 minutes. Just keep it moving back and forth. When the stripe is hot, start pulling.

Don't use those eraser wheels. They will screw up the paint.

Heat gun will work good. Just keep the heat moving around and peel. It will probably leave some adhesive on the car. I suggest using 3M General Purpose adhesive remover. Eraser wheels work good too. The key to them is to keep them moving really slow... almost to the point of the wheel stopping. Most people go so fast they start smoking and create heat. That is when you will have problems.

Attachments

• 3m.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 115
no one asked how sun baked they are onto the paint.
If they are hard and baked on, a single edge razorblade and and a wet sanding my be the ticket.
If the stripes are fairly recent then an old rag soaked with mineral spirits then go over the stripes with it 2-3 times soaking them well and peel them off and wipe down the area with the mineral spirits to clean off the adhesives left.
Now you have all the info you need to decide what the situation might be.
Great input on this site from all who contributed.

Also if the car was painted and had the decal put on right after it will actually leave a footprint or bite into the paint.. if that's the case you might need a bit of a wet sand and polish after.

I don't have a pot large enough to dip the whole car into boiling water. I can't imagine how much wood it would take to get that much water boiling, too.

I don't have a pot large enough to dip the whole car into boiling water. I can't imagine how much wood it would take to get that much water boiling, too.

HA! I like all the home remedies people have.... not saying they don't work... I just always wonder how they come up with them... Maybe warm Ram's piss would work?

That was good:rock:

About 1500 galons of water and 25 bucks worth of natuaral gas.
Maybe more on the gas.

I would imagine that if a heat gun would work, boiling water would probably have a similar effect. It would deliver heat to the stripe without allowing it to get above ~212 degrees. Probably safer for the paint for a klutz.

In either case, I can see myself getting burned. That's how I roll.

HA! I like all the home remedies people have.... not saying they don't work... I just always wonder how they come up with them... Maybe warm Ram's piss would work?

45 years of doin it helps with that.
Ram's piss would leave a stain permanantly imbeded in the paint. Duh

-
Back