better engine mounts or torque strap

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I currently have schumaker engine mounts not the poly-loc . Just wondering if I should get the poly lock mounts or use my current mounts and a torque strap. It will be in a 500hp stroker street car..

I made a torque strap. I would post a pic, but I don't have any, and the car is currently 3 hours away. Mine has spool mounts.

I have his biscuit mounts as well, and i bought his torque strap, very nice piece, worth the money.

so you used the stock biscuit mounts with a schumaker torque strap..seems the strap cost as much as the poly lock mounts

I use both the Shcumacher torque strap and poly-locs..i was ripping the rubber mounts in half even with the torque strap..poly-locs solved that problem:):)

seriously, what are you doing to still rip their rubber mounts with the torque strap. I have their rubber biscuits with their torque strap tied down very tight, and haven't had an issue, and I'm well over 550hp in a street car,with Nitto Drag radials.

ok I have their rubber biscuit type as well not the poly locs. Just wondering what works best ..Has anyone used the Mancini brand tq strap much cheaper

seriously, what are you doing to still rip their rubber mounts with the torque strap. I have their rubber biscuits with their torque strap tied down very tight, and haven't had an issue, and I'm well over 550hp in a street car,with Nitto Drag radials.

Well i actually race my car so launching it is/was part of the problem...

Of coarse they're cheaper their RUBBER..poly-locs are polyurethene..
Thank you Captain Obvious for that enlightening observation.

Im giving the OP another option if he is not sold on spending that ridiculous amount of money for poly mounts. I can speak first hand since I have these mounts and have little to no engine movement, with my set up.

My point is they're rubber at some point they're going to rip..unless your not making enough power to do so...by the way they're well worth my money spent!!!

My point is they're rubber at some point they're going to rip..unless your not making enough power to do so...by the way they're well worth my money spent!!!

Is it possible to tear or rip, sure it is, I agree. Am I making enough to do so probably not, Im only at 380hp. Im sure I had the same rubber mounts the OP has when I bought my kit from Schumaker. My engine moved, shook and twisted a bunch with those. Was I worried I was going to do as you mentioned, actually yes I was. I just couldnt justify, the money for the polylocs, and didnt want solid mounts. As mine is a street driven car and maybe raced twice a year.

The Mag Mounts still allows some slight movement with the engine and doesnt transfer all the vibrations thru the car. Do I ever see these failing, not really, for my application. I understand Poly locs are worth the money for you as you stated you raced your car. If I raced mine, I would either have those or solid mounts. If money is an object, this is a good option IMO. It cant hurt to have multiple options.

Cheapest and works for me, 2 bolts and a chain.

^^^^ Xs2

Rubber biscuits, $3 worth of chain, 2 bolts, held down a wheelstanding hemi for a coupla decades.. still does.. lol

Chains just loose enuff not to transfer engine vibration, wrapped in black tape so it doesn't rattle..

Schumaker re-inventing the chain and charging a fortune .

^^^^ Xs2

Rubber biscuits, $3 worth of chain, 2 bolts, held down a wheelstanding hemi for a coupla decades.. still does.. lol

Chains just loose enuff not to transfer engine vibration, wrapped in black tape so it doesn't rattle..

Schumaker re-inventing the chain and charging a fortune .

Thanks for the laugh..the Schumaker piece is a lot more then just a chain..

I just took a cheapie stock biscuit mount and ran a bolt through it. Works like a charm. Still dampens some vibrations, but won't tear. Just another option...

Well, you'd prob feel silly paying the Schy price for a piece of chain, so they disguised it all pretty, with a coupla shock bushings, paint it up, and tell you it holds down the engine better.. lol.. whose laughin..

Just buy solid steel mounts.

Not a big fan of chaining down an engine. It WILL distort cylinders.

I have NEVER seen a chained down race engine. If you are making so much steam you can rip apart a motor mount, it's time to step up to a motor plate.

Don't chain it down. Think before you do it. I know all the super fast guys will tell you they have been doing it since dirt was new. It's still wrong.

Solid mounts are fine if you want to feel every vibration..plenty of guys running torque straps at the track..but i'll let them know they're all doing it wrong.lmfao:rolleyes::rolleyes:

-
Back