Better gauges in a stock cluster?

-

Jay_340

Moparologist
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to mount a set of aftermarket gauges behind the face of a non-Rallye dash cluster? I would like to have mine either refreshed of upgraded, and was wondering if anyone had tried this before.

I replaced my gauges in the factory cluster of my 73 Dart with white faced and LED lit aftermarkets. (not sure if this is what you are asking specifically)
From left to right is Volts, Temp, Oil pressure, Speedo, Clock.

Attachments

• cluster.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 379
^ ^ ^ Looks great TB :)

There's a bunch of threads on this in the Mopar Interiors forum....:cheers:

Has anyone tried to mount a set of aftermarket gauges behind the face of a non-Rallye dash cluster? I would like to have mine either refreshed of upgraded, and was wondering if anyone had tried this before.

Depends on "what" cluster..........The Darts would be pretty hard to easily modify. There are, and were, here and there, some aftermarket panels available, and there's been members here who've built them.

This is are Volare we street - strip. We just drilled holes in the stock gauge cluster

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 331
I replaced my gauges in the factory cluster of my 73 Dart with white faced and LED lit aftermarkets. (not sure if this is what you are asking specifically)
From left to right is Volts, Temp, Oil pressure, Speedo, Clock.

Yes, just like that! What size guages did you use? The stock holes are pretty small, and most gauges seem to be about 2 1/16" or larger.

This would be for a '71 Duster. Same cluster, I believe.

Sure, need to get a new picture - autometer replaced the fuel gauge since it had a bad LED.

Attachments

• IMG_9353.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_9362.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_9457.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 349
tnts72, that looks nice. How did you secure the mounting for the overlay panel? Drill an identical hole behind where the gauge would sit and use the clamping pods to secure the plate to the old cluster?

Yessir, cut holes in the original bezel with my dremel very carefully to not make them too large, you break into a couple of the factory holes so they look a little funky the first time you look at it. The black plastic rings that go around the gauges serve to hold the bezel / plate together. Tricky part was laying it out so I could still use the factory wiper / windshield switches. Then the wiring... All in all it wasn't terrible and the end result is well worth it in my opinion. Took me a couple nights to get the layout out how I wanted.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=320831

Attachments

• IMG_9360.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 278
^^Thank you, the little LED indicators I picked up off Ebay are a nice touch... Turn signal markers / brights indicator (blue) / and two red for the parking brake and the seatbelt switch - which I doubt will be getting hooked up since I sold the bench and let the pressure switches go with it...

I dont know if I want to get quite that trick looking, but dang that looks sweet. The backlighting on that looks super clear. I was going to TRY and keep it as stock-looking as possible. I know redline does improvements, but last quote I got from them was a little more than I want to pay.

I dont know if I want to get quite that trick looking, but dang that looks sweet. The backlighting on that looks super clear. I was going to TRY and keep it as stock-looking as possible. I know redline does improvements, but last quote I got from them was a little more than I want to pay.

The gauges I used are 1.5 inch and I had to slightly open the factory holes in the plastic as well as open the metal backing for the cluster to give room for the posts on the backs of the gauges.

I just bit the bullet and went with the insert from Fast Lane West....bought my own gages and added turn and high beam led lights.....

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 222
-
Back