Better intake LD4B or Street Dominator?

-

Reaction score
Building a 318 as a temporary engine for my 65 GT (will go in my 270 dart when I get my 408 done) and was wondering which intake people think is better. I have both a mint Holley Street Dominator, and a mint Edelbrock LD4B. The Dart will have 355 gears, 2000 stall 904 with manual valve body. 318 will have ported early closed chamber heads with 1.88 and 1.60 valves. Thin head gaskets. Windage tray. Cam will be .450 to .475 lift (have not made up my mind yet).

Hoping some one has run both intakes and can tell me which one they liked best.

thanks!!

I ran an RPM and the holley, rpm did have better low speed power but I swear that small port Holley pulled better after 5,500. Holley has more hood clearance

Just gona drive it? I like the LD4B, basically the same as the beloved LD340 but with a port size that works for your 318 I'd say it's a win win

I might race it once or twice. The car will be a vintage drag car when it is done. But this is just a temporary engine. Will go in "my wifes" 270 dart eventually. Trying to stick with "period correct" intakes on it. I am sure the Holley did not come out till the 70's, but I know the LD4B has been around since at least 1967. Maybe earlier. I know I have an article with it from 1967 any way.

yeah that is true. Holley did spend much $ designing a new intake. If you look at all the V8 intakes they made, all had different layouts.

I think either intake you be happy with, the dual plane your wife might give prefer due to the better off idle response. In a high stall, 4.10 car flat out, the holley would come out on top, IOM

What carb are you going to use--if holley use the holley intake, if Carter / eddy use the eddy

I will be using a good old Carterbrock 600. Choke removed and all venturi casting flash removed. May switch to a 650 AVS eventually.

I had both on a 318 back in the early 70's , holley was the one I stuck with , seemed to pull better , but that is seat of pants feeling . Had a carter 850 thermoquad off a 440 that had been re-jetted , just screamed for a 318 , kept up with 400 firechikens and 396 Camaros

I had both on a 318 back in the early 70's , holley was the one I stuck with , seemed to pull better , but that is seat of pants feeling . Had a carter 850 thermoquad off a 440 that had been re-jetted , just screamed for a 318 , kept up with 400 firechikens and 396 Camaros

Do you happen to know what year that holley intake came out? What all did you do to that 318?

Thanks!!

Just gona drive it? I like the LD4B, basically the same as the beloved LD340 but with a port size that works for your 318 I'd say it's a win win

I agree. The holley street dominator is a single plane and will not have as much low and mid range torque and power. The Edelbrock LD340 and LD4B are dual plane manifolds and have more low and mid range torque and power. They also are strong up to 6000 rpm.

The LD4B is basically the LD340 made for the stock 273/318 ports. This would be the one I recommend.

I agree. The holley street dominator is a single plane and will not have as much low and mid range torque and power. The Edelbrock LD340 and LD4B are dual plane manifolds and have more low and mid range torque and power. They also are strong up to 6000 rpm.

The LD4B is basically the LD340 made for the stock 273/318 ports. This would be the one I recommend.

Yep,
That is the rout I am going to go. I did find out that the LD4B came out before the LD340. So the LD340 is just the LD4B with the ports opend up. The LD4B came out in 66 or 67 before the 340 was around. I finaly picked it up yesterday, and boy it is an impressive intake. Those ports sure look darn near as big as my 340 head ports. It looks to be a very nice intake!

604, that is incorrect. The LD340 has a reverse lay of runners and ports much larger than the L:D4B. Havoing owned both intakes, the LD340 is a slight design enhancement over the slightly shorter LD4B.

It also has a gnerous plenum and a notched divider. The carb pad can be opened up for a TQ carb. Not so with the LD4B

For your current application, I would agree with most here that the Edelbrock LD4B is what your after.

When you wanna have some fun with the 318 in a street strip like ride, move to the Holley. It sez street dominator on it and for a good reason. Holley did not fool around when they were making manifolds back in the day.

604, that is incorrect. The LD340 has a reverse lay of runners and ports much larger than the L:D4B. Havoing owned both intakes, the LD340 is a slight design enhancement over the slightly shorter LD4B.

It also has a gnerous plenum and a notched divider. The carb pad can be opened up for a TQ carb. Not so with the LD4B

For your current application, I would agree with most here that the Edelbrock LD4B is what your after.

When you wanna have some fun with the 318 in a street strip like ride, move to the Holley. It sez street dominator on it and for a good reason. Holley did not fool around when they were making manifolds back in the day.

Thanks,
I new for sure that the LD4B came out first, but I did not realize the LD340 had a deferent lay out. Just looked at pic and sure enough it is deferent.

Not sure what intake I will use when I build my all out race engine. I want to stick to and intake that was around in 1965 or 1966, and I am trying to make a period correct drag car. Looks like that will limit me to the Ld4B or an Offinhauser 360. Unless any one knows of another that existed back then? I would think the street dominator did not come out till the 70's some time.

Do you happen to know what year that holley intake came out? What all did you do to that 318?

Thanks!!

The Holley intake was the newest intake at the time or a 318 .
No idea what year it came out , I bought the Holley in 1975 new in box to put on my 72 318 , 318 had a cam and headers , 850 tq with a spacer , 727 with 8 3/4 with 3.55 posi , heads were shaved and bigger valves put in when it was rebuilt ,. Think I kept Goodyear in business , thing smoked the tires easily , and I had a lead foot back then .
318 is a great little engine , ever got the respect it deserved . Good luck with yours .

The Holley intake was the newest intake at the time or a 318 .
No idea what year it came out , I bought the Holley in 1975 new in box to put on my 72 318 , 318 had a cam and headers , 850 tq with a spacer , 727 with 8 3/4 with 3.55 posi , heads were shaved and bigger valves put in when it was rebuilt ,. Think I kept Goodyear in business , thing smoked the tires easily , and I had a lead foot back then .
318 is a great little engine , ever got the respect it deserved . Good luck with yours .

Thanks,
I am gathering up quite a pile of 318's. I am up to 3 of them, and one 360.

I always wanted to build a "max effort" 318. When I was in high school I had a 73 charger with a 318. Dad and I put a set of milled 340 J heads, a 484 lift MP cam, 360 4bbl stock intake, Holley 650 double pumper (spread bore) and a 727 with a shift kit in it. Still had 273 gears, and no converter. It ran like 15.90's at over 95mph. And was only in second gear at the lights. Man that thing was a turd from a dead stop. But once it got moving it was down right wicked. Ever since I have wanted to build a 318 in a lighter car, with correct gearing. So I am finally going to build mu vintage drag car on one of these two darts. Even decided on a name. Unfinished business. I think it rather suites the project!

-
Back