better MPG

-

jwilson13b

Reaction score
Its been a long time since i have messed around with timing. Im lookin for better mileage outta my 318 in my power wagon 4x4. I remember someone telling me backing it off a degree or two from factory will improve mileage, while bumping it forward will improve power. True, false, or oppisite
thanks.

every penny i can save on my other modes of transportation meens more money for the duster.

Advance for mileage.

Trucks are aerodynamically bricks, slow down for MPG.

Are you running the stock carb?

yeah, running the thermoquad. but im switching to a holley 450 vacum secondary. And i drive it a 55 on the highway

IMO, the T-Q is best for mileage, but a fine tuning may be difficult to do since parts are very hard to come by.

My best mileage adder was a Jacobs Pro Street ignition, you'll do just fine with a MSD set up. Open air filter and a K&N or equal will be good to do. Headers with a 2-1/4 inch pipe and a cross over. H or X with performance mufflers. If you need to have cats on the truck, dual cats near the collector of the header. Deleate A/c if possible, electric fan A better intake than stock, a Edel. Performer would do well.

etc.......

With a truck it'll be tough to get noticeable improvements in gas mileage. What rumblefish recommended is good, along with a properly set advance curve. More advance will give you more power AND mileage (improves overall efficiency of the engine), but to an extent, of course. Set initial around 10-12* advanced with about 34* total around 2600 RPM. Also make sure you're running as much vacuum advance as possible without running into ping at cruising speeds.

-
Back