BF Goodrich Drag Radial Tire Pressure

-

vcwayfarer

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I've just started racing my 73 duster. I run 165 radials on the front with 36psi. My question is I'm running 275/50/15 Drag Radials on the rear, a good friend of mine said I should run 24psi. Now I've been looking through the forum and everyone goes from 14psi to 22 psi..I'd like to get my 60 foot times down at the moment it about 1.9..
Any help greatly appreciated

Tim

DSCN4713_copy.jpg

Go with 18psi and put screws on the inside lip of the rear wheels. This keeps the wheel from spinning inside the tire.

You'll need to start testing different pressure and see what works best.

I agree with Adam. I ended my tests with 12lbs and after the burnout they rose to 14lbs and that worked great for me. 1.65 60'. Of course mine are screwed to the rims on both sides.

I run 15lbs in my m/t drag radials..60's in the 1.40's-1.60 depending on which small block i have in it..good luck with those bfg's the ones i bought were useless,car did'nt hook worth anything m/t's are far far better...

I also am running M/T 275/50/15 drag radials at 20lbs..60ft is 1.82 so far this spring should be lower!LOL!Putting in 2 stag rev limiter,for better launching the 4 speed!Good Luck and try different tire pressures.I,ve heard they like more than 20!???????

Oh yeah sorry, I also got rid of my BFG Drag radials a while ago. They spun the whole 60' no matter what I did! My results are with M/T Drag Radials with tubes.

I agree with Adam. I ended my tests with 12lbs and after the burnout they rose to 14lbs and that worked great for me. 1.65 60'. Of course mine are screwed to the rims on both sides.

What size tire/wheel were you running?

I don't think I could fit a 275 in the back of my Dart...

Hi Guys
I've just started racing my 73 duster. I run 165 radials on the front with 36psi. My question is I'm running 275/50/15 Drag Radials on the rear, a good friend of mine said I should run 24psi. Now I've been looking through the forum and everyone goes from 14psi to 22 psi..I'd like to get my 60 foot times down at the moment it about 1.9..
Any help greatly appreciated

Tim
I took my car out to the track to try my BF Drag RAdials P325/50R15's. I was running 11.60's and my car would usually run 11.50 with MT ET streets so I gave up on them. Later that week I found out my new throttle bracket wouldn't give me wide open throttle. I want to go back and try them again this summer. I can't remember what pressure I was running so you have to experiment with it. Maybe start at 20psi and go down from there. Jysnflem

I ran 17-19 in my 63. 440 4 speed at the time. Launched at 4500 no rim screws never needed them.

Thanks Guys
I'm running 15x8 on the back with offset spring hangers and a shortened 8 3/4
with 4.11 posi. The wheels have a 3 1/2" back space I could even go to a 4" backspace with heaps of room. I'm off to the drags on the weekend so I'll start from 20psi and go down from there. I'll keep you informed..
Tim

Thanks Guys
I'm running 15x8 on the back with offset spring hangers and a shortened 8 3/4
with 4.11 posi. The wheels have a 3 1/2" back space I could even go to a 4" backspace with heaps of room. I'm off to the drags on the weekend so I'll start from 20psi and go down from there. I'll keep you informed..
Tim

Good luck at the track. Everyone I've known that ran the BFG's had a ton of trouble hooking and went to M/T's asap, even people I know with turbo'd cars(lag=not so hard launch) had trouble hooking. One of the guy's ran the BFG's at one event and couldn't get better than 10.70's, before he had the M/T et streets, now he runs the M/T drag radials and the car dead hooks and is a consistent 10.2-10. teen STREET car. Best of luck to you tho. . . BTW, our cars look a lot alike lol

BFG sounds like they don't have the right compound. That's good to know that in order not to buy and waste money.

When I used to race my Trans Am, I ran Nitto drag radials with about 14lbs in the summer. 12-13 spring and fall. I loved those tires. My car was making somewhere in the neighborhood of 325hp with a manual trans and 4.10 gears. I never had to screw the bead and I rarely had wheel traction problems.

My understanding is that the BFGs like warmer temps. Dunno how accurate that is.

My Dart always liked between 16 and 18 lbs. No big smoky burnout either. They just liked a "Dusting". As soon as I see smoke I let off.

This reminds me of my SRT-4. Had BFG's up front and had a hard time hooking up out of the hole with a huge burnout at 15-18psi and 2500-3000 launch. Kept trying to get em to hook right... kept the 15psi, drove around the burnout box this time and launched at 2000rpm's.... hooked right up. Ran the fastest time of 13.01.
Sold that car and bought a Barracuda.
I would consider using them again. If I wanted to drag my Barracuda I would go with slick instead of a radial.
Try no burnout and launching at less of an rpm. Once they hook work on your 60ft. Hope this works for you.

We run between 20 and 25. Nuttin fancy no screws no funnycar burnouts.
Pulls the wheels and is street driven almost every weekend. BFG 325-50-15 Hope that helps

my experiance with bfg s is that they hook the best when they are almost worn out

What size tire/wheel were you running?

I don't think I could fit a 275 in the back of my Dart...

Some guys are running 275's on there Darts. Frome what I here you need the off set spring kit and you need to roll the fender lips and with just the right BS on the rim they will fit. That is what I am going totry on my Dart.

-
Back