Big Block 516-v-452 head which one would you pick

-

mopar65

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting a 440 in my dart which has a set of home ported by me 452 heads. Which i did not do a very good job at. they have been gone through by a machine shop new guides stock size valves, keepers, retainers.and springs to match my comp 305 cam. Ok i found a set of 516 heads with aftermarket 214,1.81 valves, keepers,retainers and springs good to 600 lift. the only porting they had done was some bowl work.I can get them for 450 pluse shiping. does that sound like a good deal and will i see any performance gain over my 452 heads? I really want to get some Edelbrock heads but can not afford it right now. Thanks Mopar658)8)

thanks i want the one that will give me the best power etc. which i know are the edelbrock heads.thanks mopar658)8)

8)thanks for the help guys. the 440 source heads look nice. the only negative thing i have read about them is you have to check them for headgasket overhanging the combustion chamber.thanks mopar658)

452s use them u already got them and they are adecent head and port work aint always pretty, u can get more flow out of the 452s than the 516s, as a general rule . I personally like the 452 and 906s, the 516s r good 4 mild street with a low comp motor since they r closed chambered and raise comp an average of 8/10s but with ur cam u need comp and flow so 452s would b a better choice. Some of the ugliest ported heads i ever had were 906s and man they flowed good for stock style head[ 256-intake] went 10.70s in 3200# car with 590 solid cam[ 906 and 452s very simular, 452s have hardened valve seats] I know porting is time consuming and dirty but the rewards r worth it, and when u can ,get alum heads, i have eddys but if i was buying now it would be 440source head for 2 reasons,price and most important with a little bowl port work they show much better increase over eds with same mods. Good luck

8)thanks for the help guys. the 440 source heads look nice. the only negative thing i have read about them is you have to check them for headgasket overhanging the combustion chamber.thanks mopar658)

not a problem--order the gaskets with them that they sell.

I believe they are the standard .039 thickness . I installed all that stuff on a friends 440 a while back--everything was great quality.

those 516 are closed chamber --you will get a bit more CR. They will flow about the same as the 452--not really a huge difference--not enough to worry about. Both are ancient and prone to cracks , and heavy ...

You will be better off getting the modern heads---get the 440source stuff.

-
Back