big block 833 swap

-
Well I'm getting all the linkage mocked up and ran into the first problem, the bell housing ballstud and spacer bolts are too big for the holes in the QuickTime bell housing.

All that money for a bell you would think they would make the holes the right size!
I'm using a QuickTime bellhousing also. Nothing but problems, they suck!

Yea, other than the holes are too small the ballstud don't line up either, gonna have to cut the bracket and make it longer

I went with a used (mock up only) big block mopar lakewood scattershield with protector plate I got off a member here for $300 and expect it to be headache to get all set up. I have not pulled the small block and factory O/D 833 out of my 70 Dart yet. Trans is a 1970 big block with the bigger 308 bearings and a custom passon performance A-body extension housing.

20160313_150753.jpg

20160313_121232.jpg

So I got the linkage setup in, had to cut and bend the bellhousing ball stud bracket to get the z bar straight (thanks brian6pac).
The next problem was the clutch adjust rod was not straight, I called Dan at brewers who I can't say enough good about told me to try flipping the clutch fork pivot bracket around to let the fork slide in a bit, bam! Nice and straight.

So the clutch works nicely and must be pretty stout since when you push it it moves the engine and trans forward just enough to notice, I have an engine limiter made so that will take care of that.

Now heading to A1 driveshaft to pick up my new shaft!!

Little update,Got everything in and driving, still have a few little spots on floor to finish up... but boy is it a blast to drive! Next time I take it out I’ll have the woman take a video so u guys can see.

I now have a pretty good handle on a BB/4 speed conversion so if anyone has some questions I’d be glad to help!

-
Back