Big Block Alternator Fitting. Bushing or no Bushing?

-

rr4406pak

Reaction score
Building a 440 for my Dart.
Installing a front accessory mounting kit (CVF) which comes with all the brackets and spacers.
With the 440 Source alternator I'm using, one tab on the top has a bushing (looks like a giant roll pin) in it.
The bushing is so thick that it is spacing out the alternator so the bracket doesn't fit flat.
Question is: It looks like the bushing needs to be there (because it has the correct diameter hole for the bolt to go through), so do I grind the bushing down flush? Or do I just cut the spacers?

Altenator 1.jpg

Altenator2.jpg

These are spacers, not bushings. Since you have a mixture of non-factory parts, you will need to trim the spacers to allow proper belt alignment.

That split bushing MUST have a little bit of clearance. It was designed to prevent stress from the assembly compressing the two alternator ears and "busting" then. The brackets tighten up on the front one, and slight irregularities in the whole assembly stack are taken up by the bushing being able to slightly slide.

I have no idea about the rest of the aftermarket pieces

The split bushing stays... It's not a 440 Source thing, all Chrysler alternators (and most other alternators) have them...

The spacers you bought should be set up to work with the bushing & if they did it right nothing should need to be cut...

-
Back