Big Block Aluminum water pump housing fitting tapped incorrectly?

-

19Greg69

Reaction score
So I just got in a new aluminum water pump and housing from Bouchillon and the small temp sensor hole seems to be tapped incorrectly? I can’t thread the sensor (1/8 npt) in. I can’t even get a chase to go in!

Has anyone else had this problem? The sensor goes into another housing I have perfectly fine.

Last edited:
So I just got in a new aluminum water pump and housing from Bouchillon and the 1/8 temp sensor hole is tapped incorrectly so I can’t thread the sensor in. I can’t even get a chase to go in!

Has anyone else had this problem? I’ll be calling Bouchillon in the morning. I’ve always had good luck dealing with them and their parts so I’m not sure who they have making these units.

If it's pipe thread, you may be able to take it to a home improvement/hardware store and get a bushing/adapter to adapt it to the 1/8 pipe thread for the temp sensor...

Maybe the tap was run too shallow. Many small tap sets have 1/8" pipe thread taps with them ( 1/8" npt). Just reatp it with heavy grease in the tap flutes to catch the shavings.

With all the Chinese stuff replacing American made, it could be that somebody drilled and tapped it for a metric tap. I bought an aluminum housing from 440 source and had no problem.

I question the chinese ones. My passenger side inlet 440 source housing has one of the heater hose holes threaded at a touch of an angle and it drives me crazy

Maybe the tap was run too shallow. Many small tap sets have 1/8" pipe thread taps with them ( 1/8" npt). Just reatp it with heavy grease in the tap flutes to catch the shavings.

This was it.... Too shallow from the manufacturer. Thanks!

-
Back