Big Block and Steering

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
I am not to sure if this would go into the suspension and steering or the big block section. But since it appears to be big block specific I will post it here.

So I was looking around for parts for my 67 GTS project (383) and came across this outfit called classic industries. I downloaded their catalog and was impressed with the variety of parts they had. I got down to the suspension section and first saw how outrageously expensive a 67 idler arm is, but noticed they sold a 383 specific pitman arm. I find this a little odd because if the pitman arm is different enough between big block and other engines, so should the idler arm, but they didnt have a specific big block idler arm for a 67 listed. So I go and check the 68 parts book and behold they do list two part numbers for pitman arms, one for 6 cylinders/small blocks and one for big blocks. However the part number for the big block pitman arm had a asterisks next to it meaning that is used on an as needed basis.

Was there a difference between the regular pitman arm and the big block one? Why would the pitman arm require a different part number and the idler arm not? Would the different pitman arms be interchangeable? since it is listed as an as needed basis, why have two different ones? what did one buy you and the other lack in?

Good question!

My 69 parts catalog lists them a unit together.

The aftermarket shows the idler as the same (BB,SB,SS) but the pitman as BB specific!

I had no issues with the idler (standard) and ordered a BB pitman and have no issues.

Yes, there is a difference, but I do not know what it is or whether it is necessary.

Didn't the e-bodies t/a and aar's have a longer pittman and a stock idler?

throw into the pitman arm mix, the small sector and large sector

I am not to sure about the E-body AAR idler/pitman arm situation, but I believe the small sector and large sector only came into play between trucks and cars. And I think every thing switched to one of them across the board in the later 70's (recently read an article about that, but cant put my finger on it).

But I did get a response about this from Classic Industries:
"There has to be some reason they used a different pitman from the factory for clearance purposes perhaps, so I personally would go with the correct pitman for your car as per factory specs, otherwise you may waste time and money on parts finding out if it may or may not work and you cannot return an installed part."

So It appears that I am going to have to keep digging into this... I will try and post when I find something else out.

So the folks over at PST also has two pitman arm part numbers. Here is their reasoning:

PIT 18736
This arm is for 1968-69 a bodies with 383. The over all length is 7 1/4"

PIT 18758
This arm is for 1967 all engines in abodies and 1968-69 with out 383. The over all length is 6 3/4"

The drop is the same on both pitman arms and so are the sector shafts, but the overall length is shorter on the PIT1758.

The longer length was most likely for clearance for the big block.

So if anyone else has any other opinions on this, I am open to them

-
Back