big block carb size

-

Rolling_Thunder

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
i need recomendations on carbs for my engine... it is a 383 with the 284*/284* - .484"/.484" camshaft and ported 906 heads... should i be running a 650cfm ?

I personally would rather see this engine with a 750 cfm carb. I think it would respond much better. I'd rather see a 650 on a mild smallblock.

Yep I agree. Ran a 750 DP on the old 383 in my sons car and it worked real nice. Ron

another vote for the 750. Or you can spend $100 on a proform main body.

IM000555.jpg

Your biggest spec for picking the carb is the max rpm you will hit in shifting and driving to pick a carb size.To figure the size you need,RPMxengine displacement/3456x0.85%= the carb you need for the street.Mrmopartech

Holley or Edelbrock? Either. Some people like one some like the other. Personally I like Holley because of the number models available and they just plain work awesome.
On the other hand, I just put a Thunder series 650 AVS on the engine i built for a friends 69 383S Barracuda and took it for a ride. Let me tell you that is an awesome street carb. Right out of the box,stock A-body big block exhaust manifolds, bowl ported heads, Comp Cams extreme energy cam. KB pistons. 4-speed. Runs flawless. Very responsive. May have to have one for my street car. I wish they had it a 750 though.

I run a 1050 Dominator on my 383 but I have a larger roller cam and 4000 rpm PTC converter along with 11:1 compression. I'd run a 750-850 on yours.

-
Back