Big Block Early-A - master cyl relocate

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those that have built big block early A's, did you guys shift your master cylinder over? I'm noticing that the master cylinder in my 66 (w/ 400 BB) is really close to the DS valve cover and will likely move the master cylinder over slightly to accommodate.

What have you guys done???

For those that have built big block early A's, did you guys shift your master cylinder over? I'm noticing that the master cylinder in my 66 (w/ 400 BB) is really close to the DS valve cover and will likely move the master cylinder over slightly to accommodate.

What have you guys done???

Had to on my r/b w/ raised port heads , still had to mill the bottom back fin down on the mopar perf cover to get it off.

MP sells a plate to relocate the factory master cylinder, like the ones they used on the '68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas.
Mancini and others also sell offset plates, for both 4 and 2 stud masters.
Examples:
4 stud- Mopar Performance Master Cylinder Adapter
2 stud- Mancini Racing Offset Adapter

Thanks. The problem with early A's are that the push rod is already on the drivers side of the pedal lever, so in order to move the rod, you've got to space it out another way. I'm just wary of spacing it out too far because it's only single shear. I think I've got a decent plan - in my head at least. LOL

Anyone else move the brake master cylinder over in their early A-bodies?

How much did you move it? How'd you do it?

offset plate , 4 bolt to 2 bolt for late alum master cyl. HAVE TO LENGTHEN THE BRAKE PUSHROD SAME THICKNESS AS THE PLATE . I CUT MINE IN TWO AND THREADED IT , PUT IT BACK TOGETHER W/ A 1/2'' THREADED COUPLING , ADJUSTED TO 1/2'' LONGER TO MATCH THE PLATE THICKNESS , WELDED IT SO IT WOULDNT MOVE , THE CUT THE COUPLING DOWN IN MY LITTLE LATHE , TO LOOK LIKEA CAR PART ,INSTEAD OF A CONSTRUCTION PART .
HAD TO MOVE ROD EYE TO OTHER SIDE OF BOLT ON THE PEDAL .
BEEN ON THE CAR WORKING FOR ABOUT 10ISH YRS.-------EXCUSE CAPS-----

offset plate , 4 bolt to 2 bolt for late alum master cyl. HAVE TO LENGTHEN THE BRAKE PUSHROD SAME THICKNESS AS THE PLATE . I CUT MINE IN TWO AND THREADED IT , PUT IT BACK TOGETHER W/ A 1/2'' THREADED COUPLING , ADJUSTED TO 1/2'' LONGER TO MATCH THE PLATE THICKNESS , WELDED IT SO IT WOULDNT MOVE , THE CUT THE COUPLING DOWN IN MY LITTLE LATHE , TO LOOK LIKEA CAR PART ,INSTEAD OF A CONSTRUCTION PART .
HAD TO MOVE ROD EYE TO OTHER SIDE OF BOLT ON THE PEDAL .
BEEN ON THE CAR WORKING FOR ABOUT 10ISH YRS.-------EXCUSE CAPS-----
Thank you. What car was this on? Early A?

Well, I was able to move it over 7/16" to the side and 7/16" up. I wish I could've moved it over more, but I didn't want to modify the interior brake pedal bracket more than I already did. I can now take off the valve covers without removing the master cylinder, which was the goal. The late mode master helps too, of course.

upload_2020-9-18_20-34-46.png

upload_2020-9-18_20-35-5.png

upload_2020-9-18_20-35-27.png

I made it. You can't just use an offset bracket either. Keep in mind you have to move the inside end of the rod over too. I just welded 7/16" of plate to the brake lever to compensate.

upload_2020-9-20_8-21-19.png

-
Back