Big Block External oiling

-

wedgehead

Reaction score
I was looking at a magizine yesterday and I saw something about plugging the suction hole om the block side where the pump mounts. If you use a external pick up line like one from Milodon. I blocked off where the Factory pick up tube threads into the stock location inside the block.

If the hole is plugged inside the oil pan wont that be the same?

I was looking at a magizine yesterday and I saw something about plugging the suction hole om the block side where the pump mounts. If you use a external pick up line like one from Milodon. I blocked off where the Factory pick up tube threads into the stock location inside the block.

If the hole is plugged inside the oil pan wont that be the same?
Should be fine. It will pull a suction against plugged galley. I plugged mine too and bottom just to make sure it never sucked air

I'm not certaint what you're asking... But yeah - you use the pan that has the swinging pickup (single and dual line pickup designs exist), plug the internal pickup passage inside the crankcase, and run braided line(s) from the outside of the pan to the special oil pump. Then the suction side of the pump is fed by the pickup through the side of the pan - "externally".

Ok so I'm going to try to explain what I think he is asking, I could be wrong but it's what I think. He wants to know where to plug the internal oil pick up galley at. So, when you pull the oil pump off the block. There is an oil galley hole on the pump mounting pad. This hole goes from oil pump mounting pad to the threaded internal oil pick up tube mounting point. He is asking if the hole should be threaded and plugged up top on the oil pump mount, or down in crank case where oil pickup tube mounts? My thinking was safe is best. I used 3/8 plug in crank case and tapped upper hole and plugged there too. I wanted to make sure no possibilities of a small leak and the possibilities of sucking air thru the now not used galley.

IF you get the external milodon top to your oil pump you plug the pick-up hole. IF you buy the complete external milodon oil pump it doesn't have the suction hole the to stock pick-up.

IF you get the external milodon top to your oil pump you plug the pick-up hole. IF you buy the complete external milodon oil pump it doesn't have the suction hole the to stock pick-up.
Awesome , Thanks Ill look into that !!!

I'm not certaint what you're asking... But yeah - you use the pan that has the swinging pickup (single and dual line pickup designs exist), plug the internal pickup passage inside the crankcase, and run braided line(s) from the outside of the pan to the special oil pump. Then the suction side of the pump is fed by the pickup through the side of the pan - "externally".

Yes , I have the external line that goes from the pan to the pump and I installed a plug where the factory pick up tube screws in the block inside the crankcase.. The picture I saw had the suction hole where the pump bolts onto the block tapped and plugged . My ? was If I had the crankcase side plugged off should I add a plug to the pump mounting side on the block. I guess it may cause a some sort of suction , so BoB said Milodin offers a pump that doesnt have that hole in it . !!!

-
Back