big block head gasket??

-

sthorvictor75du

Reaction score
i just pulled the heads off my 383 today and was about to throw another set on with new head gaskets when i realized that two of the top coolant holes in the middle of the gasket in between cylinders 3-5 and 5-7 were blocked off on the new head gasket while the old stock head gaskets had cut outs??? is this normal? and should i be using these head gaskets?? they have the main water passages either side of the block and head opened...?
thanks again

The gaskets should have a thin 1/8"wide slot in the gaskets, to help control the water flow and not allow the center of the engine to run cooler than the rear. But they shouldn't be totally blocked, if they are get different gaskets.

sorry the center holes should be blocked off or not??? (maybe im mis reading it) the main ports are open but the center ones are blocked off,

Sorry my mistake I didn't use the correct word. They shouldn't be blocked. Restricted yes but not blocked.

ok had another look the two or three top mid ones are a narow slit vs a big cut out like the old metal gaskets, however the lower passages are blocked off the 906 heads look like their also blocked off but the 452's im throwing on have the passages open but the new head gasket will not allow them to flow through the bottom holes is this an issue??

sorry about the confusion i had to take another look

No problem, sounds like you have a set of 452 motorhome heads so make sure the spark plugs are for the gasketed type or they take a small tapered seat plug like a small block chevy. If this is the case then you have a set of motorhome heads, they did this for the extra cooling in the heads around the spark plugs.

No, the only time that the gasket will come into play is if it's in the motorhome, otherwise no issue's.

-
Back