Big Block headaches

-

Aussiemopars

Reaction score
Note to self: If you don't know the condition of the acillaries on the outside of the block then just change them out. So far after putting the 383 in the Cuda, I've had to change out the intake manifold gaskets, the rocker cover gakets, the fuel pump and now the oil pump. The first three weren't too bad but the last one was a **** show. Lesson learned...

Last edited:
oil pump ? it don't get no easier than a Mopar bigblock

Agreed big blocks rule when it comes to maitnence.
Distributor in front
No water in the intake
External oil pump
Water pump bolts into a housing
Easy peasy.

An oil pump is easy to change??? In a A body??? Are you serious?? I had to jack the car up and put it on an axle stand, disconnect the headers, undo the engine mounts, jack the motor up with 2 different jacks, take off the bottom radiator hose, take off the engine torque strap... several grazed knuckles and some other scratches later and thats just to get it out...

An oil pump is easy to change??? In a A body??? Are you serious?? I had to jack the car up and put it on an axle stand, disconnect the headers, undo the engine mounts, jack the motor up with 2 different jacks, take off the bottom radiator hose, take off the engine torque strap... several grazed knuckles and some other scratches later and thats just to get it out...
How the hell ,did you mount this combination together?..

How the hell ,did you mount this combination together?..
I already had a small block in the car previously and upgraded to the big block. The car was originally a /6 car and the previous owner used post 73 cross member for the V8 conversion, all I had to do was notch it out when I put the big block in. I used the Schumacher mounts and it was pretty much a wiggle and drop in fit.

Last edited:
That's cuz you are upside down.lol
Dude, I'm closer to the true magnetic north than you are. Remember in science class, opposite poles attract.... You guys are actually upside down. Check your sink as well when you pull the plug. Which way does the water swirl around? :)

You would have to do all that and then some to a change a small block oil pump.

I notched my k-member just incase I had to change my oil pump... and I had to.... It is a 20 min. job now. I have a 1968 Barracuda fastback with a 440 sixpack

quit your damn belly aching you have the best dang hotrod on the planet. if you pull the distributor and the oil pump drive out first. you shouldn't have to do all the other crap, at least I didn't.

quit your damn belly aching you have the best dang hotrod on the planet. if you pull the distributor and the oil pump drive out first. you shouldn't have to do all the other crap, at least I didn't.
just wait until he changes the oil pump in a smallblock, he'll know what a pain in the *** really is.
the last time I pulled the pump on the b block, took a couple hours, give or take.

I notched my k-member just incase I had to change my oil pump... and I had to.... It is a 20 min. job now. I have a 1968 Barracuda fastback with a 440 sixpack
Bloody Hell!!! How much did you notch out of the K frame? Here is a pic of mine...

2016-08-08 16.36.37.jpg

it looks a through it's sitting on the "K". like i said remove dist and drive, the 4 corner bolts and pull it off. you might have to lift the motor a tad.

This is actually the new pump finished and installed. Originally when I installed the big block I did put a shim on the engine mount and there is a "small" amount of clearance. I'm wondering if it would have been better to re-install the original /6 spool mount K member and if that would have been an easier with the conversion. I saw that Schumacher and other places had those.

oil pump.jpg

This is actually the new pump finished and installed. Originally when I installed the big block I did put a shim on the engine mount and there is a "small" amount of clearance. I'm wondering if it would have been better to re-install the original /6 spool mount K member and if that would have been an easier with the conversion. I saw that Schumacher and other places had those.

View attachment 1714956956
hmmm something still doesn't look quite right.

I used the spool mounts in my barracuda. All you have to do is remove oil filter..take oil pump bolts out ...spin the pump 1/4turn..then slide it out of the engine.
Screenshot_2016-08-09-18-34-28.jpg

-
Back