Big Block Idler and Pitman Arm Trouble

-

Jeff Clay

Reaction score
Need help guys...I'm installing a big block in my 70 Dart. I'm using the existing 6 cylinder k-member, schmacker motor mounts, a deep Moroso oil pan and need assistance on using the correct idler and pitman arms. It appears I can't use the old 6 cylinder pieces. Has anyone run into this issue and knows of a fix to this problem. Thanks for any help you can give me... :banghead:

You should be able to use the steering linkage. Where, exactly, are you having problems? Idler contacting pan on right hand turns? Guys who have done the swap with aftermarket pans may have to chime in - but may require mods to the pan. Don't know if switching to the '73 and up centerlink, pitman and idler will make a difference for you.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't any difference between 6cyl and v-8 components.
Are you using new parts (pitman & idler arms)? There are physical difference's in the pre '72 & the '73 and later parts. You could have the wrong year group parts.

Ted

Just changed the pan in my 440/512 six-pack 71 Demon. I put in a Milodon 90390 pan from Mancini's . I have the 6 K-frame and steering linkage. Center link was close so I used the shims that came with the conversion mounts and raised the engine slightly. This is with the biscuit style mounts and Schumacher torque strap. Linkage is still close but seems to turn and not rub the pan. The TTI headers went in at the same time and fit with No problems as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 426
Thanks for the inputs guys!! I'm using new pitman and idler arms for the application (looking to use the 73-76 year version). One thing I forgot to mention is that I have installed a "stud girdle" to tie the lower block together to minimize "cap walk" with high rpm's. This lowered the pan a good 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch. Any help is appreciated...

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 73-76 "center link"?

Try putting a post in the "wanted" section. I'm sure that someone has one.

Ted

I am having this same issue with my 68 Barracuda, But I am using all factory parts. I be leave that the steering linkage is late 60's

Attachments

• stering - oil pan 003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 319
  • stering - oil pan 002.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 351
  • stering - oil pan 001.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 323
you have to change ball joints to the 73-up style the inner and outer tie rods pitman arm and idler arm I had the same prob on my 74 dart with a Schumacher kit and old cppa headers I tried to switch from 74 style to 70 style it would not fit because the tierods wont connect I think I have a centerlink if you want but you will have to change everything else the pitman and idler arm load from the top or bottom depending on the year

After some research I desided to "CUSTOMIZE" the oil pan with my BFH. And now I can turn the car to the right.

Attachments

• dent in pan 003.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 309
  • dent in pan 002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 340
  • dent in pan 001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 323
perfect customization that will not be your only custom hammer job believe me still have the cppas with fresh ceramicoat on them do you already have headers they would fit your car with a shim or two

Mopar willy I am using the factory performance exhaust and I know that they are restricted with a lot of custom work to fit

I'm going through the same problem with my 70 Duster/440...trying to get ready for the Power Tour next week...got my engine back in with a new oil pan because the old one was all dented up....Now I know why! :wack:

It's always nice to check in here and see that others are going through some of the same stuff. I can't see me getting all my front end components changed out before the tour especially since I don't know if even that will correct the problem.

Since my brand new pan now has a nice blemish in it anyway (found out the hard way it was rubbing) I think it just may be "HAMMER TIME". :violent1:

Gotta love beating dents in new stuff. lol

Keep the suggestions coming.

here is a pick of my 73 dart that came factory with the v8 k-frame and disc brakes. yes there is a difference between slant 6 with drumb and v8 with disc or drumb brakes. my car has a 440 RB engine with tti 2x3-1/2 headers and a morsoe 8 quart pan.the only thing i had to do was take the greese zerk out of the pitman arm, because it was rubing the header tube. But latter on i found out i had a loose idler arm . but have not got back around to putting it back in. mopar65

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 251
-
Back