big block installed measurement needed

-

ssba

Reaction score
I have the engine out of my car for bodywork right now and hope someone can get me a measurement from theirs that is together.
If you have a 440 fit with tti headers in your car I wanted to know how far forward from the
cowl to the air cleaner stud is. Or from the back of the hood which ever is easier for you to
get a measurement from. Thanks

I didn't measure it, but these two pics should help. This is a 440 with stock intake and Carter carb. Motor is sitting on a home-built DC k-member.

Attachments

• P1011295.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 344
  • P1011302.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 340
  • P1011300.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 345
Thanks for sharing Jim. I am trying to get a location to install a six pack scoop on the hood without putting engine back in right now.
I am probably chickening out and will have to wait to finish the hood and paint.
I really don't know how close the air cleaner will end up to the underside of hood using the six pack manifold and factory air cleaner assembly but I would suspect it to be very close at best.

Jim I know you know the DC bb k-frames probably better than any one and the home built ones
also. While I got you here. Just wondered if you know how tti's engine placement location measurements compares to engines mounted in these frames.

This may help. I can go out and measure on he weekend. This set-up is with the Schumacher conversion mounts. The stock air cleaner and studs fit without leaving any marks on the under side of the hood.

Kenny B

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1258.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 327
I have a 440+6 in my 69 383-S using the stock k frame and mounts. When I had CPPA headers in it and with the engine shimmed up 1/4 inch, a stock air cleaner assembly just rubbed against the bottom of the hood, so I guess there is about 1/4 inch clearance. If you need a measurement, let me know.
Rod

Thanks for posting guys. Sounds like you both are still using your stock hoods?

Schumacher mounts, DC k-member, and the factory original k-member are all supposed to put the engine in the stock, original location AND height...

One more thing. I took the 69 383 oval air cleaner and cut the neck so that it would fit under the stock hood.

Attachments

• P1012206.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 242
For what its worth, I installed a "68" 426 street hemi with the large round chrome air cleaner in my "67" Barracuda years ago. I solved the hood clearance by adding the 1" spacers between the K member and frame members. This is what the factory did when they built the "68" SS Hemi Cudas. Not only does it solve the under the hood clearance but gives you some space relief around the steering gear. Mine is a Formula S car so it does not have power steering or AC.

Hartsnet thanks for the input.
I always wondered about the spacers you mentioned.
Is there a noticeable difference in the way your car handled with the spacers installed?
I never thought about using them for clearance with the six pack. Thanks for the suggestion.
I was hoping to not cut a hole in the hood if could be helped.

I've heard of the spacer trick to give more clearance under the hood. I have a 68 Dart, /6 to RB Schumacher conversion mounts and TTI's (440-2) with a 440.

The headers are awful close to the steering box........I might just try the spacer to get my headers farther away from the box.

My measurement from the carb stud to the vertical lip of the cowl is 14" and the distance from the stud to the engine side of the core support was 25.75".

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Well I'm gonna paint the hood without cutting for the scoop. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences on this matter.
I feel more comfortable knowing it will work out fine without the hole in the hood.

If you have manual steering like mine you can again do what the factory did for header clearance. They ground off the corner if the flange. I still needed some room for my big headers so I welded up the mounting holes and repositioned them so the box was moved outboard about 3/8". It all worked and had no affect on handling. If you need more info I cal try to find a picture of it.

-
Back