big block options ??

-

shiifty_dart

Reaction score
I need to biuld a motor for my car I already have a 383 but it needs a complete overhaul I can buy a 440 for around 150 dollars but its a basket case this is just going to be a street car with about four track events a year. I know that the 383/400 motors are lighter but I was thinking about aluminum heads so just let me know what you guys think.

thanks shiifty

I really like how the 383 fits into my 71 swinger. I used Trans Dapt mounts and Schumacher headers and the fit was excellent. No clearance issues with the single diaphragm booster or blower motor.

There are different fitment issues depending on exhaust choices, transmission, etc. In my experience there isn't much difference in the amount of work. My Barracuda was going to get a 383, but then a 440 just sort of came along so that's what it's getting. With the suspension set up properly you won't notice the extra weight (everything we've built was all iron, including exhaust manifolds - except for the aluminum intake on my son's Barracuda).

well here is what I came up with being as I already have the 383 I think I will just keep it and put the 150 into parts for the build. now what I need to know is what kind of stroker can I build out of a 383 it is a 66 motor.

thanks

well here is what I came up with being as I already have the 383 I think I will just keep it and put the 150 into parts for the build. now what I need to know is what kind of stroker can I build out of a 383 it is a 66 motor.

thanks
Go 452....440.....60 over...aluminum heads...intake and waterpump housing...loose about 100 or more pounds...a 440 is a pain in the *** but well worth it....

look see....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=96239

One thing to consider before making a decision is what headers you want to run. Some of the popular headers were designed with the RB in mind and won't fit quite as well with a B motor. Also there are more intake chices for the RB. Holley doesn't make the Street Dominator for a B anymore. Weiand doesn't make a tunnel ram for one anymore either. Don't make your choice in large part on weight savings, as there is not that much difference in weight between a B and RB. The B is more compact of course. Some good info her: http://www.arengineering.com/articles/sonicbig.html

Whether you decide to use it or not, $150 for a 440 core is a pretty good deal. They don't come along that cheap around here much anymore.

-
Back