Big block or bust....

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Well here I go... Looks like I'm gonna be on the road to a big block education..
Tomorrow I'm picking up a 76 motorhome 440..
No longer turns over left outside..
"The plan"..(LOL)..
Completely disassembled and drop off block and caps at machine shop..
I pretty much want to dump everything else??..
QUESTION: What do I keep?
APPLICATION: 69 B-body with automatic...
440 source pump gas stroker kit, aluminum heads, headers, aluminum intake, after market distributor...
Thank you for everyone's time and experience...

Pretty good chance it will have forged crank.
I have had two 440 RV motors and both cranks were forged.

Just not sure of what I should essentially save?.. I've been told they're very similar to small blocks in a lot of ways but I'm sure in a lot of ways also they're not. I know in a small block I like to keep the timing cover and sometimes some of the pulleys and maybe the harmonic balancer? I know I'm going to keep the flex plate likely I'll do some kind of cvf racing aftermarket pulley system as well...

save everything till you have the motor built and then sell what you have left.

Never know when plans may change and this gives you options as well.
I've had a few, I have a 74 HP block outta a box truck w/ 6 pak rods and a forged crank out back now. I had a 77 Foretravel MH, based on a D-300. Damn thing gave me hell on the plugs, had peanut plugs..

I've had a few, I have a 74 HP block outta a box truck w/ 6 pak rods and a forged crank out back now. I had a 77 Foretravel MH, based on a D-300. Damn thing gave me hell on the plugs, had peanut plugs..
one of mine was a 74 with forged crank and 6 pack rods

one of mine was a 74 with forged crank and 6 pack rods
Heck Ya Man! Good Stuff! I have a set of ported 452s we had on a 413 in a dart, may build it or sell it, I dunno. My Brother Tugboat found a 72 or 73 Charger that may be had, if so, him and his Brother (basically my best friend) may do it to it!

So, did you find your 69 Road Runner? Inquiring minds want to know...

So, did you find your 69 Road Runner? Inquiring minds want to know...
I wish..
I'm still trying to wrap up my truck...
Like Charles Emerson Winchester the third I do one at a time I do it right and then I move on...:D...

I wish..
I'm still trying to wrap up my truck...
Like Charles Emerson Winchester the third I do one at a time I do it right and then I move on...:D...
Man, i love that show

Ok I made the deal ($220) and got the 440... It's on my truck at a friend's house and going to get it later this morning...
Not likely a forged crank (not that I would be using it anyway).
Again goal number one is to take it down to the block and main caps and take it into the machine shop. Everything else I'll have to sort through on priority. Again keeping some of the things that have been suggested and trying to sell or likely scrap the rest...
@halfafish was on to something there as one day my dreams are to have a 69 roadrunner. And knowing me I'll have no kind of budget for something that's driving... Also knowing me I want it just the way I want it. And that will not be stock. Like my duster and the current truck I'm building it will be 100% tailored to my liking as I will be the one paying for it LOL...
I think I will keep the motorhome/truck oil pan and pick up tube in case for some reason in the years to come this motor gets done and no 69 roadrunner yet. I'll just put it in my truck... I've put out a feeler or two for a big block 727 short shaft transmission... If I can pick up one of those under a couple hundred bucks I'll throw it in the back shed and sit on it just in case... The dream roadrunner will definitely have an overdrive automatic...
Anyways stay tuned for pictures and highlights when I bring it home...
And thank you for everybody's suggestions so far..

I think you're making huge mistake in getting in a hurry to run down to the machine shop with the block. I have seen hundreds of blocks ruined from this exact enthusiasm. Until you have all the parts the block is fine just were it is. Jumping ahead and doing machine work first is a bad idea in my opinion. To many have done this and then just let them sit around and rust. The other huge mistake in this approach is the fact that you really should have the pistons before the block goes to the machine shop. If you plan to buy a 440 Source kit then I would assume you want a performance engine? How can you build a performance engine without the proper clearances. The pistons you plan to use must go to the machine shop with the block so the proper clearances can be performed. Just having it bored and honed .030" and hoping the pistons fit in the block correctly is wishful thinking. Improper planning yields poor performance. Doing it right yields a much happier experience. Food for thought.

Tom

I think you're making huge mistake in getting in a hurry to run down to the machine shop with the block. I have seen hundreds of blocks ruined from this exact enthusiasm. Until you have all the parts the block is fine just were it is. Jumping ahead and doing machine work first is a bad idea in my opinion. To many have done this and then just let them sit around and rust. The other huge mistake in this approach is the fact that you really should have the pistons before the block goes to the machine shop. If you plan to buy a 440 Source kit then I would assume you want a performance engine? How can you build a performance engine without the proper clearances. The pistons you plan to use must go to the machine shop with the block so the proper clearances can be performed. Just having it bored and honed .030" and hoping the pistons fit in the block correctly is wishful thinking. Improper planning yields poor performance. Doing it right yields a much happier experience. Food for thought.

Tom
I know what you're saying. Also I know my machine shop and they're at least a year out... They're the oldest school guys and at this point trying to get stuff in there before they are gone because they just will not retire.. they have all the best multi-million dollar equipment in the area and do things like you said measuring each piston to its hole and those sorts of things. If I want to see this block by winter after next I need to get it in asap...
I will tell him flat out that it won't be till this time next year that'll be purchasing the dish piston 440 stroker kit. And if I have to order the Pistons ahead of time that's no big deal... This will be my third stroker motor they've built for me and I currently have two customers with their motors there as well...
I'm not looking for it to be a drag strip at all car or motor. Just a pump gas with one hell of a lot of cubic inches lol...
I very much understand what you're saying..
I.e. I'm not running down there to bang a sheep I'm going to walk down there and bang them all! LOL...

PXL_20220403_223720525.jpg
PXL_20220403_223727104.jpg
PXL_20220403_223731290.jpg
PXL_20220403_213540109.jpg
PXL_20220403_223812716.jpg
PXL_20220403_223737774.jpg
PXL_20220403_223744280.jpg
PXL_20220403_223752834.jpg
PXL_20220403_223801799.jpg
PXL_20220403_223715039.jpg

PXL_20220403_203708471.jpg
PXL_20220403_213524850.jpg
PXL_20220403_213534827.jpg
PXL_20220403_191546683.jpg
PXL_20220403_191557914.jpg
PXL_20220403_154023133.jpg
PXL_20220403_203658182.jpg
PXL_20220403_203702789.jpg
PXL_20220403_191537229.jpg

We'll see what the machine shop says about this tomorrow. Oh yeah and some wall art I got from the swap meet over the last weekend..

-
Back