big block or small block

-
I had manual steering in my ‘71 w/the 400B engine. Not hard at all.

Disagree. Even more so at his sought after 350 hp goal.

I disagree since his HP goal is only 350 HP. That’s easy on ether engine and doing it right is a point of view. The idea and suggestion of doing a 440-512 or what he has, ether a 413 or a stroked 413 is not in his budget.
I would also consider a low deck B-block option. It does help on some room vs RB big bl8ck. And to get a 383 to 350+ horse is comparatively cheap. A relatively cheap stroker option to 431 with an RB crank that can still be found in some outstate bone yards. 450 HP easy. I believe you can do a 383/431 stroker for $2k. Pump gas street torque beast.

Below is a 400B/727 in a ‘71 Duster. I used a 440 Source aluminum W/P and housing for the later years which is an easy hose match for the small block radiator. It is a Summit aluminum radiator, electric choke TQ on a Holley Street Dominator, B body headers into the A body, of which I’ll never do again! But it did work with some BFH clearancing.

View attachment 1715943193 View attachment 1715943194 View attachment 1715943195 View attachment 1715943196
I really like that Duster.

My take is build what you want. Nowadays, nobody needs a Big Block to go 11's on the street on all throttle. Plenty of small blocks, with and without stroker kits, making the power relatively easy - if you spend a little cash.

I would also consider a low deck B-block option. It does help on some room vs RB big bl8ck. And to get a 383 to 350+ horse is comparatively cheap. A relatively cheap stroker option to 431 with an RB crank that can still be found in some outstate bone yards. 450 HP easy. I believe you can do a 383/431 stroker for $2k. Pump gas street torque beast.

Well, we’ll see what Bill decides. A 383/400 that doesn’t need a rebuild is a rare thing. A stroker kit from 440 Source @ 2K to start is nice. However, going past the 3.75 stroke crank for more cubes than the 431/451 and the heads choke it as they choke the stock CID as is.
What would be the point on his budget?

He could have more than enough power just doing what I would call a copycat build of the old days 383 engine (330 hp stock) and make the next 20 hp via headers or a just a cam and leave the stock exhaust manifolds.

If his 383 only needs basic machine work and slugs, that should be a good bit less than 2K complete.

I really like that Duster.
Thanks man. I like that it’s a natural Butterscotch 2 tone car, no vinyl top. It’s currently (well, almost) doing mule duty as my ‘73 ‘Cuda’s engine is in there. I’ll tool around with for now, swap it over later.

Like yourself, slightly swamped with car stuff.

350 hp Small block recipe;
Copy the old tyme stock 340 for your 360 and give it a modern induction w/headers upgrade. Presto!

350 hp 413 RB recipe;
Copy the old tyme stock 440 hp build, done & exceeded!

-
Back