Big Block Plug wires with Victor Heads angled plugs

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
What wires do you run? It’s a 383 with Speedmaster Victor copies, MSD pro billet and 6al. I’m running the Schumacher tri-y’s.

Straight plug boots? Or will I still need a few 90s? Seems like I’ll have more plug clearance but I don’t have it all together yet.

Make your own. I'm still running the wires I put together in the 90's. Taylor wire,ends,boots etc. 470" Eddy heads, stock dist. CPPA headers.

What wires do you run? It’s a 383 with Speedmaster Victor copies, MSD pro billet and 6al. I’m running the Schumacher tri-y’s.

Straight plug boots? Or will I still need a few 90s? Seems like I’ll have more plug clearance but I don’t have it all together yet.
I run M S D , with adjustable boots , been on about 12ish yrs...around the front of the engine about valve cover heigth...
I have always had a tendency to cut things to fit , has come back to bite me in the a--- a few times !

Accel makes angled ceramic plug ended wires, a friend uses them on his RB with large tube headers and has had no problems. They are a "bit" pricey, but well worth it in the end.

Accel makes angled ceramic plug ended wires, a friend uses them on his RB with large tube headers and has had no problems. They are a "bit" pricey, but well worth it in the end.
I was looking at those accel wires, they are a little spendy but if they work, and last they will be well worth it.

Make your own. I'm still running the wires I put together in the 90's. Taylor wire,ends,boots etc. 470" Eddy heads, stock dist. CPPA headers.
This 100% ^^^^^^^

That's the only way we used to do it, as "back then" there were NO high performance wires in sets. NONE. You went to the local speed shop, spun your wire off a bulk roll, bought "whatever" ends and boots you needed and made them up yourself. Funny how it always worked well, too. You never had one too long or too short.

A bunch of the Mallory cut-to-length sets were on clearance recently. They're the same wires as the overpriced MSD ones, but were only about $20 a set. I'd check to see if they have any left. If not, they look identical to the Summit-branded ones I've purchased in the past. I'd bet money they're the same wires with the Summit logo painted on instead of Mallory or MSD.

I'm not sure what angle works best with that head/header combo. You may want to wait until everything is together before you start making wires.

A bunch of the Mallory cut-to-length sets were on clearance recently. They're the same wires as the overpriced MSD ones, but were only about $20 a set. I'd check to see if they have any left. If not, they look identical to the Summit-branded ones I've purchased in the past. I'd bet money they're the same wires with the Summit logo painted on instead of Mallory or MSD.

I'm not sure what angle works best with that head/header combo. You may want to wait until everything is together before you start making wires.
Thanks man, I agree. I’m going to wait and make them myself based on everyone’s suggestion. I’ll check into the wires!

Thanks man, I agree. I’m going to wait and make them myself based on everyone’s suggestion. I’ll check into the wires!
Invest in a GOOD plug wire crimper, too. The cheap ones are junk.

I've got a Victor head stroker, but it's not together yet. I'm gonna try to use my old hooker headers, but I dont know if they'll work with angle plugs. Guess I'll find out.
I bought some msd wires for next to nothing on closeout, but they are for a 460 Ford. Too short for a Mopar, gonna use em on a 540 chevy. I also bought a set of summit brand 440 specific wires. Plenty long enough, assortment of 90° and straight boots. If they are as good as they seem (as said above, good wires with summit logo) they were a bargain.

do
I've got a Victor head stroker, but it's not together yet. I'm gonna try to use my old hooker headers, but I dont know if they'll work with angle plugs. Guess I'll find out.
I bought some msd wires for next to nothing on closeout, but they are for a 460 Ford. Too short for a Mopar, gonna use em on a 540 chevy. I also bought a set of summit brand 440 specific wires. Plenty long enough, assortment of 90° and straight boots. If they are as good as they seem (as said above, good wires with summit logo) they were a bargain.
some research , all plug wires are not created equl. M S D /only 50 ohms per ft resistance , some have copied them since they first came out , but many have way more resistence .
I even checked mine , when I was trying to find a short , they were exactly around 48 to 54 ohms per foot ...

-
Back