big block questions

-

dartfever

Reaction score
I'm helping a kid with his 73 dart. Droppinga 383 in it right now and plans for a 440 later. Have a couple of questions. He has the eddy alum heads ordered for the 383 and wants to use them on 440. What headers work with the eddy heads and will the same header work for both the B and RB engines? He has been told it won't work but I think it should.

I assume the schumacher kit is the best to go with?

Thanks
Brad

The schumacher Tri Y headers will work with either the B or RB in that car. They are "slightly restrictive with 1 5/8" primaries but unless he's fully into racing you won't notice. I have however heard that their could be a problem with the angled spark plug holes on the Eddys such that the wires get hot but can't be sure. I'm running the Tri-Ys and cast iron heads on my 383 demon with power steering and I've got 2 friends running them on 70 440 Dusters with and without power steering. :evil2:

Copy of P9100005.JPG

There is only one set of headers that will work (under chassis) with Edelbrocks and Indy SRs. TTi sells them, and they aint cheap. But, if he plans to upgrade later, I'd run the iron heads now, and then use Indy SREZs, which were designed for B/RB A bodies. They are a better head too. Using other types I think can be done, but not without extensive fitting/modifying/bending/dimpling. I've never done it, just heard it gets ugly. Take a look at Big BlockDart.com. They have all kinds of info on the swaps and what works easiest.

moper said:
There is only one set of headers that will work (under chassis) with Edelbrocks and Indy SRs. TTi sells them, and they aint cheap. But, if he plans to upgrade later, I'd run the iron heads now, and then use Indy SREZs, which were designed for B/RB A bodies. They are a better head too. Using other types I think can be done, but not without extensive fitting/modifying/bending/dimpling. I've never done it, just heard it gets ugly. Take a look at Big BlockDart.com. They have all kinds of info on the swaps and what works easiest.

Careful though, the TTI's won't work with a 71-383 if it has power steering, I'm not sure about the 73's. :evil2:

That wouldnt surprise me...lol. As I said, I'm not the best source for that inffo..I've only built a few, and they were manifold cars..

Well luckily this is a manual steering car with manual brakes too. I knew you had to watch what headers you got with the eddy's. Why don't other headers work with them?

The exh ports are raised slightly in addition to the angled plugs. That means the engine is effectively wider where the headers bolt on, and thye can hit the P/S box on the driver's side.

-
Back