-
Status
Not open for further replies.

chlngr1970

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for information, or even a set, of big block headers or Exhaust Manifolds for my 1972 D100. I have made the decision to remove the 440/727 from my 77 Winnebago and decided to put it in my 72 Dodge half ton truck. SO far, I have been unable to find a reasonably priced set of headers for my truck :(

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

j

Looking for information, or even a set, of big block headers or Exhaust Manifolds for my 1970 D100. I have made the decision to remove the 440/727 from my 77 Winnebago and decided to put it in my 72 Dodge half ton truck. SO far, I have been unable to find a reasonably priced set of headers for my truck :(

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

j

Are you looking for big block headers for the 70 D-100 or the 72?

I have factory big block manifolds for either a '70 or a '72 truck. I should have the motor mounts, oil pan and pickup, and any other parts you might need for the conversion. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks,
Dallas

I have a 1977 D100 pick up that was converted to a 440 and probably have everything you would need Headers, oil pan, mounts etc. I'm taking the engine and trany out to use in my 1969 Valiant project let me know what you need !

Thanks Steve.

EST Call 289-228-7683

The Xmans on the Winnie should fit the PU. The LH one should be the exact same manifold....103 casting. Some had the same casting on the RH. Others use the 468 casting that might need some pipe work to get it to fit.

I have a 1977 D100 pick up that was converted to a 440 and probably have everything you would need Headers, oil pan, mounts etc. I'm taking the engine and trany out to use in my 1969 Valiant project let me know what you need !

Thanks Steve.

EST Call 289-228-7683
Here is what I have. 77 Winnebago 440/727. 1972 D100 318/727. I am looking at the Schumacher kit for motor mounts. I have a 400/727 from a 4X4, so I MIGHT have an oil pan. Heck, I might even still have the mounts, but not sure if they are the same. Let me know what it would cost to have everything ( headers, OP, Pickup, mounts ) shipped to 98203 Washington. Thanks.

The Xmans on the Winnie should fit the PU. The LH one should be the exact same manifold....103 casting. Some had the same casting on the RH. Others use the 468 casting that might need some pipe work to get it to fit.
I'll look into that if nothing else pans out. Thanks!

j

It rained today so I didn't get to look at my stuff. I, too have a '77 440 out of a motorhome so I'll take a look at the oil pan and exhaust manifolds on it and compare them to the ones on my truck. May be a day or two as it's supposed to rain again tomorrow but if it breaks I go out and take a look.
Dallas

That's cool. It's almost as hot up here as Texas! Gonna try and pull the 440 this weekend and get the 318 out of my truck. Did you pull the 440 out of the motor home, or was it already out? I'm wondering how hard it is going to be getting the 440/727 out of the Winne.

j

That's cool. It's almost as hot up here as Texas! Gonna try and pull the 440 this weekend and get the 318 out of my truck. Did you pull the 440 out of the motor home, or was it already out? I'm wondering how hard it is going to be getting the 440/727 out of the Winne.

j

I sold the motorhome to a scrapper and he pulled the motor and trans for me. Not sure how he did it, probably had the body off.
Didn't get a chance to look again today, more rain. But I'm not complaining as it was getting really dry around here.
Dallas

Like I said, I'm not in a hurry...still have to get the 318 out of my truck, and get the 440 out of the Winne.

j

Well, I finally got a look at my motor stash today for a couple of minutes before it started raining again. I have 2 400s for big block trucks-1975-1976 or so. Those have center dump manifolds on both sides. My 440 motor home engine has a center dump on the driver side and a rear dump on the passenger side. My 1970 383 truck has the same setup as the motor home engine but the manifolds are a little different, actually look 'smaller', I guess the ports aren't quite as big as the later models. The center dump manifold on the motor home engine looks like the ones on the truck engines. I didn't get a chance to check casting #s as it started raining again.
I also took a quick look at the motor mount brackets on the motor home engine and the truck engines. The design looks nearly identical except the motor home brackets appear to be about 1" taller than the truck brackets. I don't know if that would really be a problem using them in a truck or not. I would probably try them just to see if they would work. lol
I didn't get a good look at the oil pans to see if they were the same. I'll try to take another look and let you know.
Later,
Dallas

I can get Schumacher mounts for my truck, so that isn't a big deal. I am VERY interested in Headers or manifolds. I didn't look to see hat my 318 has, but IIRC, my motor home block has a rear sump...I'll look tomorrow if I get home from work early.

j

I can get Schumacher mounts for my truck, so that isn't a big deal. I am VERY interested in Headers or manifolds. I didn't look to see hat my 318 has, but IIRC, my motor home block has a rear sump...I'll look tomorrow if I get home from work early.

j

As mentioned your motorhome engine may have the same manifold as a truck on the driver's side (center dump). If so I would sell you one manifold for the passenger side if you need a center dump on that side, too.
I'll try to take a look at the oil pans later today if I can.
Dallas

Here is what I have. Looks like I will need a rear sump pan after all, as I don't know what the pan I have in the garage is :-k

j

My tucks next powerplant.jpg

440-3.jpg

Short Shaft 727.jpg

Looks like it's the same as my '77 motorhome engine as far as mounts and manifolds go. I wouldn't be surprised if the motor mounts would bolt on the truck but they may make the front of the motor set about 1" too high. No big problem as I have an extra set. I'll check my '75 4x4 and see which oil pan it has. I can't remember if it's a center or rear sump. I should have the correct pan and pickup extra. My '75 has a center dump manifold on the passenger side also but your rear dump may fit on the truck. I can't remember anything in the way. I have an extra center dump manifold if you need it, though.
Just let me know.
Thanks,
Dallas

Looking at my truck, It looks like the only thing in the way of a rear dump manifold is the oil filter. No filter back there on the 440, so....

IIRC my 318 has a rear pickup and pan. How can you tell which end is the front or rear on a big block oil pan?

j

The next question will be about the driveshaft. Is your existing one in the '72 a 2 piece design? If not, how you going to get it to work? All the pickups and vans (including class C motorhomes) from '72-8 have rear sump oil pans. Most of the Class A motorhomes used front sump pans. All the factory big block trucks I've seen used center dump xman on both sides. The earlier ones look smaller but the port sizes are the same....just less metal on the outside. I've seen both center dump and 3/4 rear dump RH manifolds on the Class A's but all had center dumps on the the LH. The '76-8 Dodge van and class C's use the van type LH manifold that went under the plugs instead of over them. Keep in mind that on the center dump manifolds, the RH has a heat riser and the LH doesn't even when they have the same casting number. With motorhomes, It was up to the coach maker as to which manifolds, pan, and engine (440-1 or 440-3) the rig got. The size of the motorhome also played a part in the decision.

IIRC my 318 has a rear pickup and pan. How can you tell which end is the front or rear on a big block oil pan?

j[/QUOTE]

Rear sump BB pan will have the drain plug on the back of the sump. BB pan bolting flanges being square with the exception of a divot on the front passenger side. Here's an example from a 187 pan.
I may have a pan & headers also if needed.

PAN.jpg

I'll see if I can't get some pix tomorrow of my parts. I bought a few big blocks in the effort to get a good usable 400 for my Duster. One of those was supposed to be from a 4X4 tuck ( the cracked one ) I'll pull out the oil pans to see what I got.

Looking at my truck, It looks like the only thing in the way of a rear dump manifold is the oil filter. No filter back there on the 440, so....

j
On trucks, vans, and motorhomes it's easy to tell front or back on a big block pan. The fitting for the dip stick tube is on the drivers side.

OK, I got the Oil pan, and pickup tube. If I can use the motor mounts from the motor home, BONUS. If not, Schumacher is here in Seattle :D Although, this project seems to be going in a different direction. I'll know soon enough if the swap is going to go forward or not.

j

Ok, I blew up my Ford Explorer and got laid off, so I am now up to my nose in motor swap. I got the swap mounts ordered today. I picked up a few tools so I can pop my steering box out. Anyone know how to tell if it is a standard or reverse rotation steering gear? I have a hard time believing I have to spend almost $600 on new headers for my truck. Does anyone that replied happen to still have the BB truck headers that were mentioned?

j

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back