Big Bolt Rears

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
So I'm at the junkyard today (Englers, NE PA) and i mention to Bob that I'll be needing a BBP rear to go with the BBP front I'm converting to with my disc brakes. He mentioned he had a number of BBP rear ends on early 70's Darts and Dusters that had 318's.
Question...what size rear end did Chrysler mate to 318's? I'm thinking it's probably a 7 1/4 or 8 1/4?

I think the only BBP ones you'll find are from '73-'76, and I don't know if they'd be anything but 8-1/4".

Yes, there are 7 1/4 big bolt rear ends used from 73 to 76 on our A-bodies. I have seen them under /6 cars as well as V8 cars, it just depends how they were ordered. Same with 8 1/4 in /6 cars.

Yep my BBP A-Body rear 7 1/4 was from a 74 Dart. I also got a 8 1/4 from a 74 Dart.

OK...if I understand, I can use a rear end from 73 up and be assured it will be BBP.
What did they put in from 70 thru 72? Were the 7 1/4 SBP? And what about the 8 1/4 in those years?

If they had front drum brakes even 73 up they are still small bolt pattern. Its the 73 up disc brake cars and even the 318 got a 7 1/4 unless manual or HD rear was ordered then it should have a 8 1/4, along with the 340 and 360 cars got the 8 1/4.
The pre 73 cars are all small bolt pattern but the axles were either 7 1/4 or 8 3/4 those years.

If they had front drum brakes even 73 up they are still small bolt pattern. Its the 73 up disc brake cars and even the 318 got a 7 1/4 unless manual or HD rear was ordered then it should have a 8 1/4, along with the 340 and 360 cars got the 8 1/4.
The pre 73 A-Body cars are all small bolt pattern but the axles were either 7 1/4 or 8 3/4 those years.

Correct.

Be aware that the drive shaft length is different between an 8 1/4 and a 7 1/4.

I was thinking that if the donor car is an 8 1/4 BBP, I'll also need the drive shaft. Is there a specific coupling between the tranny and drive shaft that should be pulled also?

The pre 73 cars are all small bolt pattern but the axles were either 7 1/4 or 8 3/4 those years.

What if they had front discs in a 70 to 72?

I was thinking that if the donor car is an 8 1/4 BBP, I'll also need the drive shaft. Is there a specific coupling between the tranny and drive shaft that should be pulled also?

Your Barracuda is 108" wheel base and the Dart is 111" wheel base you will need one to fit your Barracuda.

I had my factory driveshaft shortened for $100. The guy who did it knew what he was doing. He took off the end, shortened the tube, rewelded the end and then turned the weld down on a lathe. He said it didn't seem like the strongest driveshaft around but certainly not the weakest he has seen in the 100s he has done.

I believe Duster also had an 108" wheel base. Maybe others too. You need to check that out to make sure I am remembering correctly.

OK...so if in fact the Duster has a 108" wheelbase, there is no difference in length between the 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 drive shafts?

these drive shafts came from a 75 duster & a 73 dart sport-- the painted one came from the d/s sport. morale to the story --it is best to measure what you need as the cars could have a number of different lengths. Lawrence

Attachments

• dartsportstuff 022.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 282
  • dartsportstuff 023.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 297
As an added bonus, if the 7 1/4 is bbp, it gets the same 10'' brakes and backing plates as a 8 1/4.
All 7 1/4 rears that were sbp had the lousy 9'' brakes.
As a rule of thumb, all 4 doors, swingers, and scamps were 111'' wheelbase.
Dusters and Dart Sports were 108'' wheelbase.
Bbp was available only in '73 and newer a body cars with disc brakes.
All V8 cars '73 and up had bbp disc brakes and rear ends. 318 cars could have a 7 1/4 bbp or a 8 1/4 bbp and could have a 904, 727, or standard trans. All 340 and 360 cars had power bbp discs, a 8 1/4 bbp rear end and a 727 auto or a standard trans.
If a '73 and up slant 6 car was ordered with power brakes, it automatically had bbp discs on the front and probably had a 7 1/4 rear end, which was of course bbp. Slant 6 cars generally came with a 904 auto or a standard trans.
All slant 6 cars '73 and up came with sbp 9'' brakes and a sbp 7 1/4 to match unless you ordered power brakes.
So, it adds up that if you are putting in a 7 1/4 bbp rear end in your car and your car was originally a 7 1/4 sbp, the drive shaft will be the same as in your car now.
If you add a 8 1/4 rear end (all of them were bbp), take the drive shaft and rear end from a car that matches your wheel base. In this case, make sure that the transmission is the same and it will bolt in, drive shaft and all.

OK...so if in fact the Duster has a 108" wheelbase, there is no difference in length between the 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 drive shafts?

They would be different lengths since the yoke sits closer to the transmission on an 8 1/4 when compared to a 7 1/4. The current drive shaft that is now in your car will work with a bbp 7 1/4.

All 7 1/4 rears that were sbp had the lousy 9'' brakes.

If you add a 8 1/4 rear end (all of them were bbp), take the drive shaft and rear end from a car that matches your wheel base. In this case, make sure that the transmission is the same and it will bolt in, drive shaft and all.

Not all sbp 7 1/4 rears had 9" brakes. In my collection of 1967 through 1969 A-bodies the only one that has 9" has had a rear end swap according to the old man I bought it from plus it has 10" drums on the front.

67 to 69 Barracuda has the 108 wheel base.

Did you notice the different lenght yokes on the driveshafts in the photos ? I don't know why but I have found many different lenghts,,904 and 727.

Nice to see you working on it, Pa . Learning curves,can be so frustrating.

-
Back