"Big Brother" Strikes Again

-
The "Myth Busters" proved that no matter how fast you drive (even at 130 MPH) your license plate can be captured. I would mount my plate to a dual action sander which will make the plate numbers/letters a "blur". It's probably illegal during normal driving but it shoudn't be illegal when simply crossing a border??? Treblig

I've wondered about using infrared lighting to blind the digital cameras.

Did I say that out loud?

I stole John's phone and typed that with out his knowledge or consent

I don’t know if it really works or not but, we have a fleet customer whose shop is on known speed camera trap. He got tired of his guys getting tickets, so he put computer monitor privacy screens on the plates of his trucks. He did modify them. He says that he hasn’t had any tickets since. I’ve seen them. You have to be right in front of the plate to see clearly. They’re black if look at them from other angles. Not sure what the legal word is. Probably not in his favor.

Anyone have school age children/teens who are currently reading George Orwell's novel "1984"? I thought it as being more of a horror story than science fiction when I first read it, but today the snooping into our private lives is accepted as a normal, moral way of life (and entertaining in the "reality" type shows). I would be curious to know what the newest generation thinks of the current state of surveillance.

I don’t know if it really works or not but, we have a fleet customer whose shop is on known speed camera trap. He got tired of his guys getting tickets, so he put computer monitor privacy screens on the plates of his trucks. He did modify them. He says that he hasn’t had any tickets since. I’ve seen them. You have to be right in front of the plate to see clearly. They’re black if look at them from other angles. Not sure what the legal word is. Probably not in his favor.

Does he run a limo service in new York, by chance?

In Memphis they use cameras mounted on the traffic lights to capture people running red lights and cite them through the mail. One guy had an image reflecting film on his plate and ran lots of red lights. When they eventually caught him, he was fined for every instance his car was captured using the blocking film as an illegal act as stated in the vehicle laws. His fines ran into the range of $50,000 and he lost his license.

That's why the dual action sander idea is best. When vibrator is off, the plate looks perfectly normal to the human eye. I didn't actually mean to use a real dual action sander, just something that will move the plate up and down and sideways at a high rate of speed making the plate letters/numbers a "blur" to a camera. It only has to move 1/8"-1/4" in each direction to make the letters/numbers blurry.

That's why the dual action sander idea is best. When vibrator is off, the plate looks perfectly normal to the human eye. I didn't actually mean to use a real dual action sander, just something that will move the plate up and down and sideways at a high rate of speed making the plate letters/numbers a "blur" to a camera. It only has to move 1/8"-1/4" in each direction to make the letters/numbers blurry.
If the image is blurred in the traffic camera, they will know that somehow the plate has been modified. Also at the high speed the cameras take photos at, you couldn’t make it move fast enough to blur anyway. It would still be completely readable.

Those are illegal.

Even the clear, transparent covers they sell in the auto parts stores, or maybe WalMart, are illegal (at least in California they are).

Does he run a limo service in new York, by chance?
Nope, he's a contractor in Cincy. has around 50 or so vans. Only his senior guys are assigned a van, so he never really knew who was driving when a ticket was mailed. He accused our porter of being responsible for one of the tickets. We often pick up and deliver vans for service. But if you knew our porter, you know he's no ball of fire and drives painfully slow. We went ahead and paid the ticket as the fleet contract is worth more than arguing over a $45 ticket.
Those are illegal.
Probably. But there's been a lot of controversy here about the camera traps and their legality. Mostly depends on what judge gets the case.

Those speed cameras have cost the state of Iowa way more of my lost tourist and retail dollars than Sioux City ever made on the ticket. I won't go back to Iowa, and I won't spend any money there online unless it's with a private individual, tax free.

**** speed cameras.

This will not be a popular answer, but how about just driving the speed limit. From some of the responses, it sounds like the overall attitude is that you should be allowed to drive as fast as you want. Screw speed limits! I believe in following the rules. If the speed limit is 75, I drive 75. I do not have the right to go faster, and neither does anyone else. If you get a ticket for driving 85 in a 70 zone in Iowa, don't get mad at Iowa. Get mad at yourself for breaking the law. You can all disagree with me if you want, but the law is the law, and we do not have the right to pick and choose which ones we follow. Although I also question the accuracy and legality of speed cameras, I do not question a government's (state or local) right to set and enforce speed limits.

Around here they either just don't have plates period or are running 6-7 month expired temp tags. Have even seen sone very crudley hand drawn temp tags. Police just ignore them

Probably. But there's been a lot of controversy here about the camera traps and their legality. Mostly depends on what judge gets the case.

They hung these all over Springfield, Mo. a few years ago, for red light violations. It was taken to the Missouri Supreme Court. They were deactivated. Appears the court took a dim view of the following.

Quoted from TheNewspaper.com
"The city of Springfield, Missouri prepared for the installation of a red light camera system by slashing the yellow warning time by one second at 105 state-owned intersection signals across the city. In a 2005 Texas Transportation Institute study, a one-second reduction in yellow time resulted in a 100% increase in the number of violations (Table 6-2). Each violation under Springfield's new system will bring a $100 fine to city coffers after ticketing begins on June 1."

This will not be a popular answer, but how about just driving the speed limit. From some of the responses, it sounds like the overall attitude is that you should be allowed to drive as fast as you want. Screw speed limits! I believe in following the rules. If the speed limit is 75, I drive 75. I do not have the right to go faster, and neither does anyone else. If you get a ticket for driving 85 in a 70 zone in Iowa, don't get mad at Iowa. Get mad at yourself for breaking the law. You can all disagree with me if you want, but the law is the law, and we do not have the right to pick and choose which ones we follow. Although I also question the accuracy and legality of speed cameras, I do not question a government's (state or local) right to set and enforce speed limits.

But this is not just about speed limits. It is about Privacy. And the more of it you give away the more that will be taken. If it gets to the point where we accept being perpetually monitored for "wrong doing" and marketing purposes what will be left?

Invasion of privacy, was the first thing brought up in Springfield. When it came to light, that it was set up to be a revenue generator, it was sunk. Those lights were, and some still are, so quick, you can't hardly get stopped for them.

Anyone have school age children/teens who are currently reading George Orwell's novel "1984"? I thought it as being more of a horror story than science fiction when I first read it, but today the snooping into our private lives is accepted as a normal, moral way of life (and entertaining in the "reality" type shows). I would be curious to know what the newest generation thinks of the current state of surveillance.
My daughter... age 25... hates it!!!

We are tracked a lot more than we realize in my opinion. Just watch what ads pop up whenever you search for something on google. After buying auto parts online... all I see for a week or two is auto parts adverts and new vehicle adverts lol. Sometimes I search for strange things just to mess with the trackers lol

Google “chinas surveillance system” I found you wanna see what all these cameras can eventually lead to.

-
Back