Big Chamfer?

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
My donor engine is a 1975-76 360. When I took it apart I found about 2 lbs. of blue RTV, A screwdriver under the push rods, and not one of the con rods in the correct cylinder. I have also had some minor problems with the work the machine did, so my trust in them is not 100%. My 66 Plymouth FSM says the large chamfer on the con rod must be toward the crank fillet. This manual is for a 1966 318. The Haynes "manual" I have for the year of the engine doesn't talk about this at all. I think I know how to tell which side is the larger, but am not sure. I figured I ask for help before I screwed something up.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike, you are correct on the rod placement. Chamfer side toward the fillet, meaning facing out toward the weight side of the journal's. It's not hard to eyeball the chamfer.

Hearing what you've found during tear down, you really need to check all your main and rod cap placements and measurements to make sure things are not totally out of wack.

...........Ive had many mid 70s 360s apart that the rod numbers never matched the cylinders, but atleast they were on the same bank...........kim......

mike, you are correct on the rod placement. Chamfer side toward the fillet, meaning facing out toward the weight side of the journal's. It's not hard to eyeball the chamfer.

Hearing what you've found during tear down, you really need to check all your main and rod cap placements and measurements to make sure things are not totally out of wack.
x2!

-
Back