Big Duster Job

-

CharlieRotten

Green Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking on this for a while and I've decided instead of restoring my 1973 Duster to its original glory, im going to turn it into a machine feared on the streets by all who gaze upon it. :evil2:
So there are a few things i want to do to the body to make it stand out.

1.If I put a fiberglass hood made for a 70 duster on my car, will it fit?
2. Is it possible to replace my tail light section with one from another A body?

if im not clear enough with those questions feel free to say so, I'm not sure if what I've asked makes any sense.

OK Charlie,
Im not sure of your actual location, So Im not sure if well ever meet.
I think our goals are similar, and Im a little bit ahead of you, so check out the build of the Missile and FEAR THIS :batman::burnout:
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo489.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 320
  • Photo387.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 313
  • Photo494.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 333
Question 1. yes
Question 2. Yes

As to Question 1 you will need the rest of the front end of a 70 with the exception of the fenders.

Andrew im in Colorado.

What i want to do is get rid of the bump of the 73+ hood by putting on a 70-72 hood (fiberglass so i dont ruin a perfectly good stock hood when i cut the hole for my tunnel ram).
Then im going to fab my own grille setup and headlight housings.

I want to put on the 70-72 tail lights or demon tail lights on.
Then im going to paint the whole car high gloss black and put on flat black stripes down the side.

Charlie when you change over to the 72 profile dont forget the front bumper as well.I understand your taillight thing, I took a road down the middle and just got rid of the bezels.It really cleans up the rear panel, and i didnt have to graft in sheet metal from another car.
Andrew

well i just want flush taillights so that i can put some black covers on them and they will disappear in the paint so it looks like they aren't even there.

as far as the change to the front end, what all do i need to replace?
Im assuming the hood is relatively the same dimensions as the 73 right? I know i dont need to replace the fenders but im slightly confused as to what exactly i need to replace.

keep up the progress with pics and stuff to

missile how difficult was it to flip the bumper?

the only things you need to change is the hood, grille, and bumper but since you are going to make your own grille you just need the hood and bumper and i think you need the bumper brackets from the 70-72 but dont quote me, and i know you can buy the tail light sections for any duster demon new

DW, here is the thread on the bumper:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=73421
It wasnt that hard just took a second bumper and a fair amount of time.
Charlie,I used the "smoke" spray paint made for tinting lenses, to do my rear lenses. I did have to do two coats and only put one very light one on the reflector part of the lenses, otherwise they were too dark to reflect much.
Also while doing the search for DW's info it struck me just how many threads I have here on every step of construction of the Missile. Just use the advanced search tool on this forum and put my user name in and select "threads started by this user" and the list will come up. Hope this helps
Andrew

dont mean to copy your idea but that looks awesome haha probly do something similar but with a plate holder somehow..

After discussing with my father (the master of all things mopar)
I've decided that it would not be conducive to my finances and time to do a tail light swap but the front end swap will be pretty simple.

When I have this whole thing in the works I will throw pics and updates on here as they come in.

Thanks for the advise and help guys.

Thanks!

How did you manage the door handle situation?
I would love to do a full delete with some sort of push button. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBv8g9vxfc"]*** movie gto scene - YouTube[/ame]
How big of an undertaking is that going to be?
Also, what motor do you have in your duster?
I just picked up a 383 and im going to shoehorn it in my car so if you have any experience doing conversions like that, it would be great if i could ask some questions of you when i get stuck.

I just got a Demon rear tail panel to put on my 75 Duster. Was just out looking at it last night. Lot of cutting of spot welds and welding but very doable. Front end is easy bolt on stuff for the most part.

-
Back