Big E's 70 Duster is home- took some pics!

-

TheBigE

70 Duster - Slant 6
Reaction score
Hi folks. I finally arranged to get the duster home tonight! My wife took these pictures with a flash at night, but they turned out OK. New pics coming in the daylight!

For all you California boys, this Duster came from North Highlands California in May near Sacremento. Did anyone remember seeing it lurking around the area? It's a slant 6 car with a mediocre lime light paint job and cool add-ons.

The Big E

P1030556.jpg

P1030557.jpg

P1030560.jpg

P1030565.jpg

P1030566.jpg

P1030567.jpg

P1030568.jpg

Best of luck, love the dog dishes on it...What's your plan with it..

You're from London, and your screen name is "BigE," and you have a Bruins hat on?!!

Everybody should be Flyers fan.

BTW - nice car!

Yeah I'm from London Ontario, but I was a big Bobby Orr fan so I've stuck with the Bruins ever since. Maybe they'll do it this year??? Your FLyers devastated the Bruins in the early 70's by taking their first Cup.

And I had the Big E nickname far before Eric Lindros, in 1979!!!! I should have patented it!!!!

My plans for the Duster are to get the engine running a bit better, fix up the interior and get it safetied for the road over the winter and start driving it with the slant 6 by April. On getting it home I think I'm better off to find a black interior donor A body...might be cheaper than buying it piece by piece.

The Big E

car looks good...should be alot of fun...does anyone know if that hood treatment (black with the stripes in the middle) is factory?

My research from this site's experts put it as a 71 Twister hood treatment that they've put on mine...I like it, just not sure how to keep the flat black paint looking nice.

Hey looks nice Big E, she's got lots of potential, but you should close the garage door cuss you look like you're freezing to death.:toothy10:

Terry

Duster looks good..I'm a HUGH Bruins fan,Bobby Orr IS the greatest to ever lace them up..yes the B's are looking real good this year...

Glad you got it home! Did you get a chance to talk with Steve about the appraisal?

Hi gang. Nice to hear the Bruins and Duster compliments.

I think for $4500 Canadian I got a pretty good deal. And then $80 to have the owner's buddy trailer it about 75kms(45miles home). The previous owner took care of getting it over the border and getting an Ontario ownership for it so that was good.

I had it appraised locally while it was being trailered to my place for $35! So today I went to the MTO and it's now all in my name, no hassles!

It is an absolute plain Jane car...the dataplate only has the bare, bare info on it. I don't think it could be any simpler. Not sure if this was common or not just to have this plain of a car in the lot??? I don't think anyone would order one like this?? Maybe the paint is a little unusual, but I`m sure it`s just one of the basic no extra charge options. And it was probably an option to get radio delete, the AM radio came as standard. Not sure if the smaller slant 6 was possible on a Duster in 70.

E24- 225 slant 6
D31 - 904 tranny
FK5 - Dark Burnt Orange metallic paint
L2X9 - Black vinyl bench
TX9 - Black door fram-interior
N95 - California emmisions
R11 - AM radio
Y05 - US Specs
EK5 - this didn`t decode, something about roof type or colour

I have to start a thread in the engines or slant 6 area to try and figure out why she won`t idle, but starts and runs fine at higher RPM. I also have to figure out if California cars didn`t come with a choke or if it has been removed...I need it here in my neck of the woods!!!

the big E

Hi. Great buy, looks really nice. I think EK5/FK5 are both your paint codes, the last two digits being the same mean its the same color top and bottom not a different color roof or vinyl roof. Good luck. Bobby

Nice to see you got it home,I,m waiting on my new project a 66 Dart from across the boarder.Should be here in the next couple days and I,ll post some pics..You,ll have to check out Moparfest this year and bring your car.Hopefully meet you there..Til then..

"EK5 - this didn`t decode, something about roof type or colour"

It should be FK5 again, matching roof paint in your case.

"No radio" was standard, R11 was an option.

I'll definitely be at Moparfest this summer. I'm also hoping to go to Chryslers at Carlisle too, my wife has family in the area(more near Hershey/Lebanon actually but it's not far!).

Thanks for the decoding info. On a closer look it could be another FK5 again easily just over the first FK5 below it. I thought it was an EK5 because I already had an FK5 and didn't know they would duplicate. It could certainly just be a little bubble at the bottom of the F making it look maybe like an E.

Either way there is certainly no evidence of a vinyl roof, it must have all been burnt orange in 1970!!!! I'll decode again with FK5 twice.

I'm shocked that not having a radio in 1970 was the standard I thought that mother mopar would just toss one in as a standard feature and that radio delete was an option to not have it!!!! That ruins the complete bare bones status of the Duster now...it's got the hi-fi 1 speaker sound system option for AM only!!!! Curse that buyer or dealer to have that! Actually, if it was an ordered car, is there a 'sold car' car code that should appear??

The Big E

-
Back