Big or Small ?

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Trying to make a decision on what to do to the Tempermental Demon.

Right now I figure the 340 is going to need to be torn down and gone thru to figure out the smoking issue, Probably just a rehone and new rings. I don't think these ones ever seated correctly.

Second Choice is to tear down the 440. and go thru that.
Has been run over 14 years in 4 or more cars, so I'm not sure how much machine work would be involved.

I have all the parts to put the 440 in so that's not an issue. It's also already been in the car before, so it's only a weekend swap over to get it going again.

The small block will also require me to rebuild the tranny.
The BB trany will need to be opened up and inspected, but works well.

Both engines have powered a car to the 12.60 at 102-105 mph. which for the basically stock 440 isn't to bad. '68 440 with '67 closed chamber heads, 750cfm Holley and a 509 MP hydraulic cam.

Financially this is going to be a tight budget, but I do want to be able to run this thing more than twice a year, and not have to be screwing with it all the time just to make it run halfway decently.

Input is what I'm looking for. Bring it on !
Where do I go from here?

Why is it always easier to offer suggestions to someone about what to do with their car than it is to decide what to do with your own car? :dontknow:

Anyway, when I made the decision for my car it came down to how I intend to use it. I only get to the race track once or twice a year. So my car will be 99% street driven. Not only that, I want to be able to drive it on the highway for extended trips. I figured a stroker small block with aluminum heads would give me the best all around compromise. Lots of cubes in a smaller package with relatively light weight. And with some low end torque, and an overdrive tranny, I can use a smaller numeric rear end gear so I still get decent performance and gas milage.

Had I been building the car primarily for track use, with an occasional 'cruise night', then it would definately have been a big block. And the bigger the better.

GotDart said:
Why is it always easier to offer suggestions to someone about what to do with their car than it is to decide what to do with your own car? :dontknow: .

Strange isnt it.

Big block so you dont have to shift at 7500 rpms.

Whats wrong with the tranny ? It worked fine when I pulled it.

AdamR said:
Strange isnt it.

Big block so you dont have to shift at 7500 rpms.

Whats wrong with the tranny ? It worked fine when I pulled it.
Nothings wrong with it. I haven't even driven it yet.
But with unknown mileage, and not knowing what clutches/bands are in it and what condition. I feel it would be safer to rebuild one of them, with good bands and clutches so it will survivefor a while.
And, I don't have the best of luck with trannies. Toasted one of the small block ones and two of my Big Block ones.

So I hear 2 votes for a big block.

You can make them both run good but it all boils down to how much you can spend. I think I would work the 440 as it really dont take much more to put that 440 Demon in the 11's. Ron

if it were ME???...id take your 340 and STROKE IT!!!....340,.040= 418"!!!!...

dont know what heads your running but if money isnt a problem get some eddy heads,send them too ryan and get a nice little solid cam and your in the 11's!!! :blob:

I feel your current engine should be pushing you into the 11s..And the 440 certainly could do it, with factory internals, and some bolt on changes.

-
Back