big vibrations!!

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
G'day - looking for some help if you can advise me about a vibration.
Firstly it's a '63 Signet Vert.

Arrived Downunder early last year. I bought it in April and it needed some work.
Replaced the rear floors and repainted the interior.
Redid brakes and added booster.
Replaced rear uni joint (which was frozen) and repacked front uni joint.
Replaced all tie rods.
Tuned engine.

I have driven it maybe 8 or 10 times for short distances (less than 10 miles each time).

Last week I am heading out to get some fuel. Took it up to around 60 mph before arriving at fuel stop. Got fuel and headed home. At around 40 MPH I suddenly get a huge vibration. Stopped car did visual check of tyres and looked under. See nothing different. Got in and same thing - vibrations start at about 30 mph. Very violent - whole car shaking. Took it to a hill and coasted down in neutral - still there. No vibration when stationary and revving in park. I've looked under it and can't see anything amiss ... except this, the front of the oil sump is very (VERY) close to the K frame. This is a '63 car with a '65 reconditoned 225 slant. I looked at the engine mounts and they look buggered. I have ordered 2 new ones.

Does anyone have a suggestion, please?
Sorry for the long post.

I'm just wondering if wen the tie rods were replaced if the front end is way out of whack.did the steering wheel shake bad wen this happened.just a guess...........Artie

could be a few things. tranny mount loose or broke, engine mount broke or somehow came loose. i once had a v-8 in a coronet, that every time i would give it gas the fan would hit the shroud .if its doing it while rolling and out of gear,its probably in the driveshaft, u joints or the rear end. only thing left would be in one of the wheels or rolling assembly.

I would bet on the driveshaft. Those ball and trunion types are a pain. Get the rear up in the air where you can run the car in gear to check the driveshaft runout. New mounts are something you'll want anyway so check the transmission one while your at it.

Could be a torsion bar. I had that happen once.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I will have to put this on hold for a couple of days as we have just been blessed with a wonderful little grandaughter - cars will have to play 2nd fiddle for a couple of days
Get back to you then.

Again - many thanks
Gary

sounds like a tier might have separated on you...

jack up the wheels and spin them... just watch if there is a bump...

sounds like a tier might have separated on you...

jack up the wheels and spin them... just watch if there is a bump...

X2 my dad had this happen recently. really bad vibration that got worse then could not go over 30 because it was so bad. tire lost a few cords internally and got egg shaped in one spot.

if this is not the case, i would think it has to be something pretty major to make a bad vibration at 30mph. make sure your lugs are tight while your at it.

good luck and congratulations.

I would point you at the shaft if the vibe is even more violent under load, if not . . . . .to many things to toss out there to look at

Check the back u-joint it can be off centered just a very little bit and it will do the vibrating bad. I had this happen on my Swinger. Good Luck Ronnie

Definitly sounds like a tire to me. if the vehicle has been sitting for any length of time the tires will come apart after you start driving the vehicle again. which seems to have occured in this instance

OK, firstly thanks for all the replies to my question fellas!

The baby is home and everyone is happy, so it's back to playing cars.

Lots of good suggestions thank you but it turned out that I have a dud mechanic - (me).
Didn't centre the rear uni properly. Removed the shaft checked it all over and replaced it and whamo, most vibrations just gone away.:cheers:

There is still a small vibration but nothing like I had before. I have a feeling it is in the Ball & Trunnion so I will get it checked and balanced and hopefully I'm good to go.

Thanks again - as usual lots of good advice and help.:blob:

-
Back