bigblock Dart

-
lol. there are many here.

but, if you have about $80 thousand cash google "goodwin semi hemi"

you can order up a 600 to 820 cubic inch hemi stroker lol

Welcome to FABO.

Building an engine is not that different from a small block to a big block. Slight differences in geometry/dimensions, but basically assembling a short block is not very different.

All engines start with crank, pistons & rods, cam, heads, timing gear, oil pump, pick up tube, heads, intake, timing chain cover, water pump, valve covers....

But if you want a professional built one, talk to Mike at MRL. He builds a good engine. He sponsors this site and has a link to the right ------------------------->>>>>>>

Not to mention, he's close enough to you where you can take a road trip to pick it up.

lol. there are many here.

but, if you have about $80 thousand cash google "goodwin semi hemi"

you can order up a 600 to 820 cubic inch hemi stroker lol

I know Todd Goodwin , and yes he builds a hell of a motor if you have deep pocket's, 1500 hp on pump gas haha, sounds pretty streetable to me!

Buy books and become your own best engine builder. It's not difficult AT ALL. If you can put together a jigsaw puzzle, you can build an engine. It really is that simple.

No offense to the op but there seems to be a lot of new guys coming in asking some general and expensive questions right off the bat.

To answer your question though I would agree with rusty. Do it yourself. If you don't have the time or the drive then mike seems to he a good engine builder.

So the logic here is pay someone for all the machining and then put it together yourself?

SMH..

Well my logic is pay the small assembly charge and have them break it in on the dyno. Most good engine builders stand behind their product. I know mine does. You assemble it, not their problem.

So you are into it for what? An extra 1,000? Seems worth it's weight in gold to me and given the cost of an engine build and the cost of one of these cars, it's pennies on the dollar.

So the logic here is pay someone for all the machining and then put it together yourself?

SMH..

Well my logic is pay the small assembly charge and have them break it in on the dyno. Most good engine builders stand behind their product. I know mine does. You assemble it, not their problem.

So you are into it for what? An extra 1,000? Seems worth it's weight in gold to me and given the cost of an engine build and the cost of one of these cars, it's pennies on the dollar.
x2

SMH..

Yeah, I guess if you don't have confidence in your own skill's or perhaps have more money than you need, that would be the way to go. Personally I have NEVER had an issue with an engine that I have built/assembled in 40 yrs and i have built over 50 for myself and buddies. I have , however seen some engines that so called great machinists assembled, go up in smoke.

it's not to save money

it's just for learning / enjoyment / satisfaction etc.

by the time you buy the tools you need any money saved would probably be a break-even. ring compressor, mic, dial mic, calipers, plastigauge, cleaning supplies, gasket sealer, anti seize compound, white lube, etc.

you definitely would do it with guidance of a machine shop buddy if it's your first time

For me it was both to save money and for the satisfaction. There is nothing better then firing up your motor for the first time after having it down nothing. Also I don't have the thickest wallet so the whole "why not spend the extra thousand" explanation doesn't work for me. A thousand dollars might not be much to some of you but that's a nice little chunk of change for this guy.

I have been a wrench for over 30 years so building not a problem just looking for advise on best bang for the buck don't want to build a sharp slow car. So not a lot of mopar Experience is an early motorhome 440 a good platform to start with as far as the block goes if I want to go with aluminum heads and other big power options.

SMH..

I am behind this logic as well. I have heard of too many stories of guys trying to save a buck by putting a motor together themselves and they end up missing something whether it be tolerances, oiling, etc that shells the engine early. Then they are starting all over again when they could have just paid someone with experience to do it right that will back up their work if the engine does fail. But then there are horror stories with "experienced" shops too...

SMH..

x's 3^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think some of yall should bring me some engine building business.

Yeah, I guess if you don't have confidence in your own skill's or perhaps have more money than you need, that would be the way to go.

A man's got to know his limitations - Clint Eastwood .... I know mine.

I certainly don't have more money than I need. I just know how much money goes into an engine build or a car build for that matter and consider, in perspective of that amount, 1,000 is a small amount and to me, worth it.

it's not to save money

it's just for learning / enjoyment / satisfaction etc.

by the time you buy the tools you need any money saved would probably be a break-even. ring compressor, mic, dial mic, calipers, plastigauge, cleaning supplies, gasket sealer, anti seize compound, white lube, etc.

you definitely would do it with guidance of a machine shop buddy if it's your first time

This I agree with /\ /\ /\

both sides can be argued.
I say, invest the time and tools to learn to assembly properly, get a shop for machining you have total CONFIDENCE in, and let'r go....
having the " right " shop might be e asier for us guys out in the country than a larger city????
back 20 years ago, I had the $ to have them assemble it, had a great shop and engine builder, it was in the sticks, he was a bargain, he would stand behind his work 200 %, made perfect since back then to do it that way, I wasn't afraid of any mistakes he could [possiblly have made on his part non the less.
now days, its a financial decision whether to invest in a coffee at the convience store or not!!???? LOL any engine I use is "used" not fresh!

I have torn into engines and seen some crappy work from so called "professional builders". I do them myself, the right way.

But if you don't want to do it yourself, and want it build and dyno broke in, call Mike at MRL.

It's your car, your money, your call....

-
Back