Bigger Rearend in my duster

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got a 1973 Plymouth Gold Duster. I'm looking to put this rear end into my duster. Its out of an older duster or dart. Although the u joint on my drive shaft measures 3 1/4", the new rear end measures 3 1/2" the spring perches are the same and the width of the rear end are the same. I've been told to buy a new drive shaft. I don't really want to shell out the money to buy one. This is my daily driver so i just want to get it back on the road. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Have the rear yoke on the replaced by a good shop..you should be able to re-use the rest of the drive shaft. I do believe they make a universal with the 2 sizes too. That might be the easiest fix. Someone will chime in with the part number.

I do believe they make a universal with the 2 sizes too. That might be the easiest fix. Someone will chime in with the part number.

I don't have a part number, but Robbie is correct, a combination u-joint will fix the coupling issue.........But, you need to make sure your original shaft is the correct length with the replacement rear end. While hooking the rear side will be good, the slip yoke up front could end up too far in or too far out of the trans tailshaft and that will cause you more issues sooner or later.

That sounds a heck of a lot cheaper, thanks guys. Is their a place online you would recommend i get a combination joint?

Are you changing the type of rear end also? If you're swapping in an 8 3/4 to replace a 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 you'll need to shorten the driveshaft as well...

Where did the rear come from and what is it? the measurement you have is wrong between the 2 series of joints, there is more than .25" difference between 7260 and 7290.
If you had .50" difference then you have a different joint, most likey you have the same joint and just have a casting difference or you measured one yoke across the middle or bottom and the other at the top.

-
Back