Bigger sway bars.. is it worth it?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
My 318 Dart Sport has a pretty sissy looking sway bar up front. Did the high performance versions have beefier ones?

Does it make a worthwhile difference in how the car would handle?

Thanks!!

Any sway bar is better than none. Having said that, my plan is to keep the sissy looking stock front bar and add a aftermarket rear sway bar.
I think it boils down to how and where you drive. Enough mods might make an old mopar handle winding roads like a Porshe but that kills the personality of a classic for me. May as well be a porshe if it drives like one. Just my opinion

i think it makes a big difference. like redfish said, its how you want it to handle. i am one who wants the most performance handling i can get with stock style suspension. i run 1 1/4" swaybar up front and a 7/8" out back with .890 torsion bars.

The front bar keeps the car from "rolling over" in turns. The bar you have may look sissy and have a smaller diameter than some earlier bars, but don't be fooled. The K-frame and disk brakes changed with the '73 models, so the bars do not interchnage. The shorter length of the later bar makes it stiffer overall. The drawbacks to a front sway bar are a slight increase in unsprung weight (rougher ride) and understeer. I agree with the recommendation to keep the stock bar and add a rear bar. If you can find one that mounts on the body (a'la A39 Dart), you'll be better off than one that mounts the bar on the axle.
I installed a K-frame & bar combination like you have in the Demon. I use .830 diameter torsion bars and the stiffest affordable gas shocks I could find. All the rubber in the suspension has been replaced by polygraphite. Combined with the cop car steering box, the car drove nice.
When I added the rear bar, it balanced the car better and made it corner flatter, too. The rear bar is mounted on the body. I had to fabricate mounts to connect the ends of the bar to the axle. The rear is soft sprung/stiff damped like the front end. It's no Porsche, but it is fun in the twisties.

Having said that, my plan is to keep the sissy looking stock front bar and add a aftermarket rear sway bar.

You want to upgrade the front before you think about adding a rear bar. A rear bar will make the car more prone to oversteer, that is the *** end wanting to come around.

-
Back