Biggest tire I can put on factory 1968 Dart Rim

-

dodgegtdart68

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Dodge Dart GT , what is the biggest tire I can put on this factory rim. 15" x 5.5 rim

20210227_200919.jpg

1- that’s not a factory rim for a ‘68 Dart, 13’s or 14’s only. Are they 5x4" or 5x4.5"?

2- by the tire manufacturer recommendations, the biggest for the front would probably be a 205/65/15. In the back, a 215/70/15 ( at 26.8" it's probably a little too tall for the front). Wider than that should have a 6" or wider rim, much taller than that will likely require a higher than stock ride height or other modifications.

3- a 5.5" wide rim will measure 6.5" from the outside lip to the outside lip, so make sure they're 5.5's and not 4.5's before you order tires.

Now cue all the guys that have run bigger tires than that, because of course they know more about tires than the tire manufacturers. Can you? Of course. Should you? Not according to the people that make the tires.

Factory wheels for a 68 Dart are 14".
14"x 4.5" or 14"x 5.5"

Are you sure those are 15" wheels in the picture ?

1- that’s not a factory rim for a ‘68 Dart, 13’s or 14’s only. Are they 5x4" or 5x4.5"?

2- by the tire manufacturer recommendations, the biggest for the front would probably be a 205/65/15. In the back, a 215/70/15 ( at 26.8" it's probably a little too tall for the front). Wider than that should have a 6" or wider rim, much taller than that will likely require a higher than stock ride height or other modifications.

3- a 5.5" wide rim will measure 6.5" from the outside lip to the outside lip, so make sure they're 5.5's and not 4.5's before you order tires.

Now cue all the guys that have run bigger tires than that, because of course they know more about tires than the tire manufacturers. Can you? Of course. Should you? Not according to the people that make the tires.

Oops my bad they are 14" x 5.5

I won't even bother - not worth the hassle. I've started giving my opinion on such things by PM to avoid your lengthy tirades on the subject....

I won't even bother - not worth the hassle. I've started giving my opinion on such things by PM to avoid your lengthy tirades on the subject....

You do realize that your whole argument basically boils down to you just saying “I run the wrong size tires because I can’t tell the difference between good tire performance and bad tire performance”, right?

A properly fit tire performs better than one that isn’t. Not being able to tell the difference says more about you than anything else.

That's what the ignore button is for....Works like a charm. :rolleyes:

My '71 Dart GT had 225/70R14s on the rear (14" X 5 1/2" Rallyes) when I got it as seen here:
DSCN8203 Industrial 3.jpg

When I replaced the tires I went with 215/75R14s (still with the 14" X 5 1/2" Rallyes) as seen here:
DSCN8771-cropped.jpg

I plan on going with 245/60R15s on my new (to me) rear 15" X 7" Rallyes:
Wheel Paint-3.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back