Biggest tires on a 5 1/2" Steel Wheel?

-

STRIPE DELETE

Don't got no stripe!!
Reaction score
What is the widest tire I can go on a 5 1/2" steel wheel? BF Goodrich 245/60-14 says minimum 7". 235/60-14 says minimum 6.5".

Would it be safe to put 245's on or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks!!

Dale

That might go on the rim ok, but you sure would get some ugly wear on the tire. The contact patch would not be good. For a 5.5 wide rim I'd stick to 70.

I did this once years ago. It looked great, but the tire bulged a lot, and it would have worn real funny if I had left it on there. Try a 225/60/14, it'll look almost as good, but will wear a lot better.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to keep my small bolt pattern and I want to run steelies. But I want to run 245's. Guess I may be out of luck!

Contact "Stockton wheel" in California. They will make a nice steelie in any width or backspacing you need. I had custom Rallyes made, with the small bolt pattern. The price may suprise you, and you will get excactly what you want.

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

Don't waste your time or money on Stockton, they are overpriced and don't do any better than a shop closer and more local to you would or could. Search around, you'll be surprised at how many places will actually do wheels for you and you won't have to worry about paying to ship your wheels across country to have them cut apart and widened and then pay shipping back again. I have dealt with them so I am speaking from past expierence.

I dealt with them too, and they were terrific. I had a local shop try to widen a set, Major disaster. At least with Stockton, they stock rims, so you don't have to ship your crap to them. These are on the rear of my car now. They were even dead straight!

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

I have a set of 235/60/14's on the 5 1/2" ralley and they are wearing fine.

MtNemoMopar said:
Contact "Stockton wheel" in California. They will make a nice steelie in any width or backspacing you need. I had custom Rallyes made, with the small bolt pattern. The price may suprise you, and you will get excactly what you want.

Hey, what size are those tires?

MtNemoMopar said:
I dealt with them too, and they were terrific. I had a local shop try to widen a set, Major disaster. At least with Stockton, they stock rims, so you don't have to ship your crap to them. These are on the rear of my car now. They were even dead straight!

Stockton told me that if I wanted sbp steel wheels I would have to send them my old wheels so that they could reuse the centers. They were going to turn my 14" wheels into 15 x 8's.

Well...I ended up sending 2 wheels to Stockton to get converted to 15x7's. A little pricey after all of the shipping but oh well. I wanted steelies!!! I can't wait to get them back!

I'll post up a pic once the car is back on the ground with the new wheels!

-
Back